speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I pulled the head and looked into the cylinder and saw no scratchs or anything that looked abnormal so I tried starting the bike again. It did start but made a very loud clacking sound. I stopped it imediatly. I pulled the cylinder and can not find anything that looks missing or scraped.
The kips move when I accuate them.
any ideas?
tom

:(

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I used th ProX 65.94 std assembly. It was the right one for my bike. I measured the cylinder.
I'm going to order new circlips, gaskets and rings and put the old one back in since the cylinder looks good and at least see if that was the noise.
After putting in the new piston I rode it very easy for 7 minutes. I fouled a plug. It cooled and I did the same for 20 minutes with jet change. The next day I warmed it up, changed the plug and did a plug chop. Rode it for another hour or two and that was it, it bogged and died.
tom

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Your ignition may be going out. Same thing your describing happened to me. I cleaned the carb like ten times before I accepted that it may be electrical in nature. Use a volt/ohm meter and go buy what the book says, I think resistance. You don't have to do anything but maybe pull the seat off to get at the wire connectors. I had zero resistance I believe. If you see a problem or your not sure pull the flywheel (go buy a puller) and inspect the wire wound, I had a burnt spot on mine. These coils usually don't go out all at once so that is why it sounds like your ignition magneto.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I noticed that when I tried to kick it over it tried to kick back. Is this also a symptom perhaps?
Do you check all the connections or just certain things?
thanks,
tom

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I checked my coil today using the kawasaki manual readings and I got;
on the white/red-black I should of had a 304-456(omega), I had a OL.
on the yellow-black I should of had a 1.76-2.64(omega), I had a 2.3.

If I did the test right(meter positive to white/red and meter negitive to the black) then it looks like the stator coil has a problem. I need to get a puller to get into it more.

Is this (coil) going to be one of those parts that is really expensive? Maybe its just a short, wishful thinking?
tom

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I just tried to take off the flywheel nut and the flywheel spins on the crankshaft as if there is no woodruff key in there.
Any ideas on how to remove it?
thanks,
tom

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
This is the bad one. They want over $300 at the dealer for a new stator. There has to be a better way?
tom

Attachments

• statorbad.jpg
    statorbad.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 108

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Maybe you could have the stator rewound, by someone like "Ricky Stator"-seen his ad in the back of Dirt Rider a few times. Or I'd say keep an eye on ebay and the salvage yards.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
not a short this indacates an open circuit, by the way omega symbol is for ohms. u might try a electric motor repair place, a stator is a stator.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Call Jeff Fredette he might have a used one for you. 1-708-946-0999 also baja designs. they do lighting coil up grade, they might have so insight for you?

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Thanks all for your replys. I bought the part I needed for $50 from Ricky Stator today. That beats the $315 for the whole unit from the dealer. This should fix the bikes problem but time will tell(always the optimist). This is a great forum!
tom

Top Bottom