yzrook267

Oct 5, 2003
I have had my 2001 YZ 125 since last April. It has always run great but the front wheel spins totally out of wack. The rim appears to be sraight but i havent taken it off the bike yet. I was just wondering if there were any other reasons that could be causing this other than a bent rim. The problem seems to affect the bike's handling greatly. :ugg: I have a hard time staying in ruts and keeping the bike in a straight path on jump faces.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
yzrook267 said:
I have had my 2001 YZ 125 since last April. It has always run great but the front wheel spins totally out of wack. The rim appears to be sraight but i havent taken it off the bike yet. I was just wondering if there were any other reasons that could be causing this other than a bent rim. The problem seems to affect the bike's handling greatly. :ugg: I have a hard time staying in ruts and keeping the bike in a straight path on jump faces.

What do you mean by "it spins totally out of wack"? Does it not spin true, as in aligned? Does it wobble? Your mention of not being able to stay in ruts or keeping a straight line on jump faces may indicate a problem other than the wheel itself. Perhaps suspension settings. Tell us more.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I would loosen the front wheel from the forks and the forks from the triple clamps and try to straighten it up. If the forks aren't straight in the triple clamps it will cause the wheel to be at an angle other than 0 degrees with respect to the bike. If that doesn't solve the problem, remove the top triple clamp and put it on a piece of glass. I bent my top triple clamp and it threw everything out of whack. If the triple clamp is bent, I would suggest an Applied Works clamp (price is good and it is much stiffer than stock). The spokes would be another easy thing to check. Make sure none of them are really loose. Be careful tightening them as you can make the wheel much worse than before if not done correctly.

yzrook267

Oct 5, 2003
Sorry about the lack of detail. What I meant about the wheel spinning out of wack is that it wobbles side to side. If you look at the wheel from the front while it is spinning the top of the tire will go to the left side of the fork while the bottom will go towards the right side. Then as the wheel does another half rotation it will do the opposite. The difference is very visible. The suspension doesnt seem to play a part in the problem and is dialed in pretty well. Likr I said before its done that since I got the bike so I dont know how it initially happened. The hub and lower part of the spokes spin perfectly straight so it looks like that wouldnt be the problem.

Top Bottom