We no need no stinkin' Green Sticker!!!

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
My understanding of the law was that a green sticker was required to ride on public lands out here in Shaky, sooooo...

Several years ago I let the reg lapse on my KDX200 because I was only riding it on my friends land, which would be private. But oh nooooo, DMV starts sending me threatening letters about payment. I explain the situation... And I'm told that once a bike is registered, it must be kept current. I say "What if the bike has been destroyed and made into parts?" Answer? I need to provide a certificate that says it doesn't exist. From whom? I ask. Nobody can tell me that. So I pay under protest and sell the bike since they tell me they'll charge me when I register my STREET vehicles, or put a lien on the reg. Ridiculous.

Fast forward to now. I buy a Pro Circuit bike from CO, and decide to do the right thing and register it. THEY WON'T TAKE MY MONEY!!! The bike doesn't exist in the records, so I have to take it to dmv for vin verification. Being a bitchin' powder-coated frame, the vin is hard to see, but obviously there, and visible fine under sunlight. But dmv a$$h01e can't see it well enough for his liking and tells me... GRIND DOWN THE FRAME!!! I say HELL NO, I live at the beach, does corrosion and rust mean anything to you? So off I go w/ no sticker or reg, although I have all past paperwork on the bike, know the former owner, have signatures, everything. And they won't take my money.

Anyone out there able to verify a vin? Elk? I'm trying to do the right thing, but at this point... SCREW THE DMV. No wonder threatening a DMV employee is a felony... They drive people to threaten. Pun intended.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
we have this title crap in Florida now too. I dont know what to do, be an outlaw or pay every freakin year. Atleast your money is going to the park service (atleast, thats what ive heard about the cali stickers), im probably paying for a new school or something

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by nick414

Anyone out there able to verify a vin? Elk?[/B]

Nick.

Elk can do that. :thumb: He may charge you. but he works cheap. A box of Krispy Kreems usally gets the job done. :laugh: :laugh:

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
You are God-like Ol'89r! Thanks for that info, hopefully I'll see him again soon. I almost asked at our last ride too... I'll buy him a weeks worth if that's his pleasure!!! :) Thanks again, ...N

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thank you nick, now I have another reason to surf DRN at work, cause it generates WORK.;) I'd be happy to grind down, I mean verify your ride.;):) j/k If you need it done before one of our next rides, let me know and we can get together on it and take care of it. mmmmmmmm Krispy Kreems. Damn 89'r.:|

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Is it possible there are 2 Gods?! :) Thanks Elk, I'd really appreciate that.

Next ride will be more than fine, unless of course you're taking a break and get the munchies in the meantime!!!

Now I won't worry about missing the next amnesty day at Ocotillo Wells.

Hope to ride again soon, been too much tcob lately... Time to play.

See you soon, ...N

Fastnine

May 23, 2003
Hey guys i live in Knoxville T.N and off road mx bikes to my understanding have no titels ...i have a 99 yz250 what would i do in cali.....???.most all mx bikes ive ever seen in NC or SC .T.N etc....have no titles .....there is however a Tds sticker we have and you need a title to get one .......and NOBODY gets it ....one place tried to enforce it and said nobody can ride without the sticker ....lol nobody rides there .......its pretty funny like a mx strike on dmv....

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I had to register a couple of old bikes without titles here once, and you definately have to take them down to DMV where they can look at the VIN # on the frame and the # on the engine. If they've been tampered with, you're screwed!
You might be able to get paperwork from a CHP officer verifying the VIN also. You'll have to check with Elk on that one.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I verify them as well and actually DMV sends all bikes to us now. If you come from a state with no title, you just file for a new title from CA and get the bike verified, fairly easy.;)

Top Bottom