Weird clicking noise by front hub

MDA

May 27, 2002
Hi everyone,

I've just completed my third ride on my new KDX220. As I was rolling it into the garage I noticed a weird clicking sound coming from the front hub region.

It seems that when the wheel rolls and reaches a certain point that there is this metalic click/scratching sound. At first I thought it may be something with the trip-meter. But I'm worried that it may be more, serious like a busted bearing.

Is this the kind of sound that would come from worn bearings. I'd be surprised if it was the bearings since this bike has only seen three very easy rides (I'm new to dirt riding and still very timid on my bike).

Any opinions would be welcomed...
-MDA-

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
If it's the same noise I hear on mine (and it sounds like it is) all I can say is it did it on my KX125 too. I thought it was the front wheel bearings, so I replaced them and it still did it. I don't know what it is,but I think it's normal. :think:

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
Have you put the front wheel up in the air and spun the tire ? Does the sound happen then ? I would do that and check the brake rotor/brake caliper/brake pads. Does the click happens at the same point in the tires revolution ? A riding buddy had the same sound on his XR250R and I found that he had a bent front brake rotor. As the dinged area of the rotor passed through the pads there was a click sound. At speed the sound was not detectable, only at slow rolling speeds.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
There is an anti-rattle clip on your front caliper that drags against the rotor sometimes. That's the clicking noise you're hearing. No big deal. Sounds annoying, but not doing any harm.

Dave

MDA

May 27, 2002
Well these replies are very encouraging. I'll take a closer look at the rotor and see if I can confirm what you guys are saying.

I guess I'm a little paranoid since this is my first dirt bike ever and also since its brand new. I really want to maintain it well so that it will last me a long time. The idea that I might have buggered a set of bearings so early in my bike's life did not sit well with me.

Thanks again for the input. I knew I'd get some good suggestions here. This forum is awsome... :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you're paranoid about your bike, then it's safe to assume it's been disassembled (swingarm/unitrack/steering stem/wheel bearings) and properly greased, right?

Good Job!!!

MDA

May 27, 2002
canyncarvr,
No it has not been dissasembled and re-greased. I have read that section in the JustKDX tech section. I am a very new rider and figured that I would finish the break in period first and then bring it back to my Kawasaki dealership for a full maintenance of all the above mentioned areas. I don't have a very good place to do that maintenace myself, and I'm not much of a wrench head, so I'd probably end up doing more harm than good.

Thanks for the reminder though..

Top Bottom