Weird Experience at Cycle Shop

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I went into my local Yamaha-Suzuki dealer yesterday. I have dealt with them many times and they have always been rude and crappy and condescending.

Unfortunately, my favorite shop was out of 4r and the other one local to me that I like doesn't carry it. I wanted to use 4r for the first few oil changes of the new top end so I decided to suck it up and go in.

Well, I stop by and they have the same crew... I sighed to myself and said "it's only oil." I walk up and grab 5 bottles of 4r (accidentally picking up a bottle of 2r but didn't notice that till I got home).

It was $7.95 a bottle. I about crapped. But, the guy was nice. The lady behind the counter was nice.

It was 5 minutes to closing and they weren't rushing me out. As a matter of fact the guy even is helping me find out what the pilot jet is on the DRZ. He didn't have the fish on it so he gave me his number for me to call him today.

I can only think that the reason I got treated differently than the other 30 times (over the past 4 years) that I have stopped in has to either be one of 2 things:

1) I was stuck in the twilight zone

2) They have changed their attitudes. They realized that customer service is necessary or they are going to lose customers to the net.

I still will get most of my stuff from my favorite shop since they are closer to my work but I'm not going to avoid the local shop like the plague... well, at least not until the next time they dump on me :)

Ivan

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'm with ya. I don't give a rat's hiney about the money. It's all about the 'tude. I just hooked up with a new place because someone at the old place blew crap at me when I asked a question about their lack of staff. It's not like I was being a smart*** or anything. I just asked an innocent question and the chick got all huffy.

I went to a new place that's just down the road from the old one, and the guy who owns it (Chad) treated me like I was his long-lost best friend. I spent over $1000 there, and he threw some serious discounts at me (like a Shoei VFX-R Pro for $329!) I'm hooked. I've been a dedicated mail order shopper for the last ten years, but now I'll stop by Alabama Motorsports before I order anything. It doesn't hurt that they actually stock stuff that I need and want.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Nice when they realize you are the source of their income isn't it? :) After spending 20 years in my life in retqail I am not a real demanding shopper, but I won't tolerate bad treatment. The best thing we can do is to keep going back to places that treat you well, and try to help them stay in business with our patronage. I am lucky in that my favorite shop is literally just down the street but I would go across town to shop with them. Glad they saw the light down in SC an AL !

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
moon alinement! would be nice to think they care. customer service is everthing!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Actually they knew that you were getting the shaft with that price and they really just made it up when you came to the counter to see if you'd pay it. They figured since you were paying the made up price, why not be nice!?:p:p

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
I hate that

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
I haven't had any bad expieriences at a dealer yet but my friend has.

One day he went to the dealer for a free oil change because he had ridden so many hours on it(a TT-R125L). So the next day he goes back and his bike is sittin in the showroom with a forsale sticker on it. Lucky he went back when he did there was a small family in a office fillin out papers for it. Good thing he had a reciept.

Jason

Weezie

Jul 29, 2000
Beat this for customer service. I bought all my bearings and oil seals, for a complete lower end job, top end kit, and complete gasket kit to rebuild my KX from my local dealer. I was going to do it myself but decided to ask the mechanic at the shop what he would charge me for the rebuild. I was floored when he told me he'd do it for nothing. I'm assuming since I spent a wad of cash for parts he was trying to ease the pain. I compared parts online against their prices and they were right on. My local Kawasaki dealer will get my business as long as I own my KX.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
holy crapp!!!! id be tissed.<<----(dont feel like getting kicked offa here)
if MY bike was put up for sale, im sorry, but id find out eho did it and KICK THEIR ASS!! geez, and for an oil change, too. well id better stop im getting carried away......... :)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
I walk up and grab 5 bottles of 4r (accidentally picking up a bottle of 2r but didn't notice that till I got home).

Ivan,
I guess the test will be when you take the bottle of 2r back and explain you were in the twilight zone. Hopefully it will be no problem getting a refund.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Re: Re: Weird Experience at Cycle Shop

Originally posted by Sawblade

Ivan,
I guess the test will be when you take the bottle of 2r back and explain you were in the twilight zone. Hopefully it will be no problem getting a refund.

Wasn't a problem. Got there as they were opening and as I walked in the guy looks over and says, "just place the wrong one on the counter and grab what you need." We talked for a couple minutes and off I went.

This is the same guy that blew me off 4 years ago when I was eying an RM250.

Ivan

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Weird Experience at Cycle Shop

Originally posted by Truespode
This is the same guy that blew me off 4 years ago when I was eying an RM250.

Obviously this guy doesn't remember you from four years ago. I take it you bought a bike at a different shop because of him. I gotta give you credit. If it was me and I was blown off when I was looking to buy a bike, I wouldn't set foot in there business again. I've done this more times then I can count, bikes, vehicle, any major purchase. What I hate even worse is the full court press when buying a vehicle. Years ago I walked from purchasing a truck I really wanted. I left the house that day and told the wife we were coming home with a truck as I was tired of looking. Getting back from the test drive, the salesman is right in my face to sign papers, etc. Now remember, I had all ready made up my mine I was going to purchase this truck. The salesman will not let up. He is putting on such a press that he's not aware I'm ready to seal the deal. After 5 minutes, I told the guy, why I was leaving and that he wasn't going to make any rent money from me. Two hours later, I bought a truck from a dealer that understood letting the customer set the pace of the sale.

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
First off I would like to say great informative forum! I have viewed for a while as a guest and finally joined today. I agree,the bike dealers should remember the customer buying the small ticket items are the same people that are putting out big bucks for the bikes

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I usually stay away from the service department of my local dealer. But the salesmen are usually nice.

I actually had the manager of preformance honda recgonize me and know my name, when he saw me at devils ridge today. I went to the shop two weeks earlier to order some rings, and pick up some oil and spark plugs, and rang me up. I got charged 9 dollars for the rings, much better than any online store.

Those are the kind of things that keep coustomers coming back. If the prices are not too outrageous, and the people are nice, I will shop there.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…