prk03

~SPONSOR~
Jun 24, 2002
I just installed a wer steering damper today on 200kdx01. I have never used one before. Anybody got any hints on how to use and/or what to expect.

rfs mike

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2002
WER say’s “Put your bike on the stand. Your front tire should fall to the right or left, from center, with just a tap. You shouldn’t be able to actually feel the dampening when riding.” I run mine at half way. I put a small mark on the adjuster and the body at half way so I have a starting point. Experiment till you find what works for you. I have run WER for years and have been really satisfied. Plus one less thing on the handlebars. Good luck.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here's what to expect with a steering damper:

Expect to have way more confidence as the bike stays where you want it in the corners.

Expect a transformation in rocky sections.

Expect better stability on high speed whoops.

Expect to crash less yet ride faster.

Expect to be able to save the front end when you have poor body position and your tire would normally wash out.

Expect to say "Why didn't I put this thing on year's ago! It's awesome!"

BTW, I would turn it one turn out for starters (max is 2 turns), but definitely experiment. On very rough or high speed stuff, turn it all the way in. On tight woods trails that don't have many rocks, turn it 2 turns out.

Have fun!

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
It is pretty simple to use, just follow the directions. I run mine 1 turn out for trail riding or a smooth H/S course. And I stiffen it up a 1/4 turn in the rocks. If I make it to tight it tires me out before the race is over.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Start out with the adjuster knob one turn back from full clockwise. Ride it awhile to establish a base line and then you can try different settings.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by Fuzzy Dice
Because it's $360 :(

Still cheaper than a breaking your collar bone into 3 pieces from a crash you would not have had with a damper. That's what happened to me on my last ride without a damper eight years ago (4 weeks before my wedding).

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by dirt bike dave

Still cheaper than a breaking your collar bone into 3 pieces from a crash you would not have had with a damper. .
That is true. Does Jeff Fredette use the WER damper?

prk03

~SPONSOR~
Jun 24, 2002
thanks for the feedback. I got it from Jeff Fredette. I have an enduro this weekend. Will work to adjust it on the practice trail Saturday.Thanks

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Definitely practice in varied terrain before the race to get a feel for the different damping settings and it's effects. In the really tight, twisty 1st-2nd gear stuff where you need to flick the bars back and forth, I feel that 1 turn out is too restrictive, and almost scary.

I wish there was some type of remote handlebar control to adjust the damping on the fly to account of changes in terrain. (I know about the RTT unit.)

Top Bottom