What are you hauling your bike with?

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Call me ignorant, but I'd like to hear how you folks are hauling your dirt bikes around. Almost 10 years ago, I had no trouble loading/unloading my CR125 into my beater S-10 pickup truck w/ a ramp propped up on the tailgate. Now that I've got a heavier bike (98 KDX200) and a newer (nicer) truck w/ higher ground clearance, I’m a little concerned if I’ll be able to get this thing into the truck by myself. Actually I think I can get it into the truck OK, I just question whether I can steady the bike and get it strapped in OK w/out dumping it over my bedrails. I’m not opposed to buying a utility trailer, however I’m just not convinced that I absolutely need one. This is a new (to me) bike and I’ve only hauled it once on the day that I bought it. That day I had help both loading and unloading the bike. I’d like to find some method that will enable me to load/unload this thing by myself. Any ideas? Please, no flames over asking such an elementary question – just tell me what works for you. Thanks in advance. (sorry for the long post)

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I have a 1988 Ford F-150 with 16" tires and a lift kit, so it's got a lot of ground clearance. I just use a wooden ramp. As long as it's secure to the truck and won't slip, you should be able to ride right up it. Getting it off is a little harder, but usually someone is around to give me a hand.

Another way, if you don't want to ride up the ramp is to either push it up till the front tire gets over the ramp, then (if you're standing on the left side of the bike) hold it with your left hand on the left side of the handle bars, then with your right hand, grab ahold of the frame of the bike (somewhere near the back, then just push up on to the truck. As long as you hold the bike, it shouldn't fall and scratch your truck.

The easiest way is to find a small hill, and back your truck tailgate right up to it, then just load the bike on.

Good Luck and Good Riding!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I haul my bike with my GMC pickup. In the bed of my truck I have 1x3 strips screwed together to stabilize the wheels. Two the width of the bed about 10 inches apart, with one strip on either side of the wheel. I have two other sets of strips to the sides so I can carry two bikes at a time.
As far as loading the bike, I use a step stool ( The plastic rubermaid one) and an 8 ft 2x12. The extra two feet of ramp cuts down on the angle of attack.
With a little practice, it becomes second nature.

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
1994 Acura Legend with 10' 2-wheel trailer with torsion suspension for a good ride. I removed the endgate (catches too much air) and added Bike Shoes. I've pulled the KDX220 as well as a KLR650 400 miles to ride once with no problems. It does cut your gas mileage down. I'll bet I only get 5 to 10 more than a 4-wheel drive while I'm pulling the trailer. That hurts. :)

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
At my last race we parked next to a guy with a 426 that had some redneck truck who's bed was at least 5 feet off the ground. Never saw him get it in or out....

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
My new to me KDX250 does not fit in my Chevy Mini Van unless I lay it most of the way down. My van does have a Class III hitch. I am a week or so away from building myself a hitch mounted bike carrier. I will post some pictures when it is complete.

kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
I use a 8 foot 2X12 covered with grip deck to get my bike into the bed of my 2 wheel drive chevy. The longer the ramp the less angle. I also have a milk crate that i use to step on as i walk the bike up the ramp. As for the guys who ride up the ramp into their trucks, they usually will bend the end of their truck beds over a peroid of time.The fun thing is that it can be entertaining watching them load their bikes.

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
I use a 4X8 utility trailer. I can fit three bikes, but the third one has to go in the middle facing backwards. It's a little cramped but it works great for two bikes.

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
Over here I use a Holden ute current model gen3 chev.
I think you guys will be getting them soon as Australia is going to
export them with a chev badge.Also you will be getting the Holden Monaro rebadged as a Chev pontiac gto.
modeloverview

Last edited:

TrailDawg

Sep 7, 2001
I have an F150 with 35" tires and a 6" lift, so loading was rather tricky until I got smart and made me a few things.

1) Made a 8' ramp out of steel. I used 1 1/2" wide x 3/16" thick for the sides, then got some 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick that I used for crossbars across the bottom. Inside width between the sides is 5.5", and distance between the bottom cross pieces is 11". Whats nice is that with the 11" spacin on the bottom, you're tire well just sit in the gap enough to keep the bike from wanting to roll back down the ramp. This lets you hold the bike with one hand while you hop up into the bed to take it the rest of the way up.

2) Made a 1'x3' diamond plate step that mounts into my Reese Hitch to help get into the bed (my tailgate when down is 40" off the ground!!).

If you can weld and have a means to cut steel (even a cutoff wheel works for this small stuff) then you can build them both for about $50.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I use a MotoJack Rack. It's pretty easy to use and I like it a lot. If you have more than one bike (actually they make one that holds 1 bike and one mini), you'll have to use your truck bed (or a trailer), but then you'll have help loading.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I now use an '83 Chevy C10 to haul my bike (and other peoples bikes), the beds about 4 or five feet off the ground. When I'm by myself I'll lift the front wheel on to the tailgate and push the bike as far forward as possible, then grab the swing arm and lift it into the bed. I start on the far left side so I can swing most of the bike onto the gate. To get the bike out I just back it off slowly..letting the bike fall onto the suspension. If I park on something soft, I'll park facing a tree (or something solid) and spin the rear wheels down..but I have a winch on the front.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I use a bi-fold aluminum ramp, you can walk right up it next to the bike. Using a wood ramp is cheaper though I would use two , one for the bike and one for you to walk up.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
I have a stock F150 which I haul my bike in.

Option #1: Go riding with Gomer, he'll just lift the bike out of the truck for you and when the day is done, pick it up and put it in. The downside to this is it makes you feel like a girly man. :o If your intimitated by the idea of a large, tu-tu wearing man doing you these types of favors, or Gomer is not in your vicinity, then see option #2: :yeehaw:

Option #2: I use an 8 foot 2x10 as my ramp. I stand on the right side of the bike, get a bit of a running start and push the bike briskly up the ramp. Once the front of the bike is in the bed, I'll squeeze the front brake, jump up onto the tailgate, and continue pushing the rest of the way. Works well. Just have the tie down straps laying up on the rails of your bed so you can get them easily.

If you are alone, my cheap ramp makes unloading a little tricky because it's hard to get the back tire onto the lip of the ramp without pushing the ramp off the tailgate. Easy fix, I got a metal stake that I put into the ground to prevent the ramp from being pushed back.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
I have a 99' Toyota 4-runner with a class 3 hitch and I use a single rail trailer.
This set up works great but that is all I can haul. I may in the near future get either an enclosed or a large utility trailer to haul additional bikes.

May 8, 2000
Full size 2000 GMC 4x4, not a problem; 7' x 10" wood ramp - two step rubbermaid stool from Wal-Mart - approx 10' running start and load. Only time it gets hairy is when the stool is not on level ground and the fact that we now pull a fifth wheel and the back rail is just right to stop the bike as you are making the transition from the stool to the tailgate. The stool also doubles as a bike stand.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Ranger pickup with 8' bed; holds 2 bikes OK.
Load with a 2x10x7' long with the steel angle from Dennis Kirk that keeps the ramp from slipping off the tailgate
Use a standard milkcrate (upside down) for rolling in & out
The only thing I've found easier or faster would be to add a bike shoe

it175man

Aug 29, 2002
Bought an old tent trailer for 75 bucks in Vancouver Canada. (Tent no longer usable but the lights worked fine and needed minor adjustments) Bought some new tires for about 50. Good things about a tent trailer are: that it is light enough for a light car to pull. A tent trailer is typically low and has a door so you can run a short 2" x 6" to run your bikes up. The trailer is so low that you can do it alone by working the brakes on the way up. Some trailers have drop down steps to help you step into the trailer while you push your bike up the ramp. The other good thing about an old tent trailer is that you can put a new tent 7x8 on top and sleep in it to get an early start on Sunday's near your favorite trails. You can even build a stowaway area for your oils, chainlubes, tie downs, water, funnels, camping gear, tools, vise, etc. The one I've got was built in 1970 and spends all winter in the rain.

An old tent trailer. Ya gotta get one......

AKKDX

Feb 9, 2002
I've got two 4x4 trucks that I alternate hauling my bikes in and I just use an 8' 2x12 with aluminum ramps "ends." I push the bike up the ramp until it is all the way into the truck then use my right hand to steady the bike by grabbing the frame and use my left hand to put down the kick stand. To unload I just back it up to the point when the back tire is just on the ramp then I hold the front brake and step down onto the ground then roll the bike backwards down the ramp. It is pretty easy but I'm 6'2" and that may be a tough trick if your much under 6' tall and your truck is a 4x4.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I have a Ford F250 diesel supercab 4x4, 8' box and 16" tires. Kinda tall but..... I got my hands on a piece of (used) aluminum cable tray (24"x8')and put 3/4" plywood on one side, now I just ride up and store the ramp between the 2 bikes. I can squeeze 3 bikes and the ramp in if need be.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Stand on the right side of the bike and lift the front wheel up onto the truck by holding the bottom of the fork with one hand and the right grip with the other. Push it as far forward as possible until the bottom of the frame is touching the tailgate. Then, still holding the right grip, bend down with your knees and grab the inside of the swingarm with your hand. Lift the bike up and walk it till the back tire is on the gate. Engage the front brake and step up onto the bed and push the bike the rest of the way in.
This meathod requires strength and is hard to do, if your not really strong, after a long race or ride. It might be better to bring along a ramp just in case.

Top Bottom