What do you think about having frame guards?

palazzi

Jun 15, 2002
I have a new WR250. I have installed a skid plate and radiator protectors. I am thinking about buying frame guards, but they are not so cheap. Honestly I am not sure whether it is worth to buy them (USD 65 aprox). What do you think about having frame guards? Are there any other possible (cheap) solution to protect the frame?

Thanks again.
:thumb:

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
If your frame paint is already rubbed off from your boots, there's not much point.. IMHO the only reason I've bought them in the past is to protect the paint on a new bike.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Palazzi,

you can use skateboard grip tape (you can get this at skateboard shops)

Or you can use clear background material. I got 3 sheets for 11 bucks Canadian, and you can just reuse them as you see fit. 3 sheets lasted me 2 seasons :aj:

DPW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2000
Or you can use 3m Grip Tape like Team Yamaha uses. Here's the Home Depot part number
2"x60' Gray 3M? Safety-Walk? Medium Duty Resilient Tread
Brand: 3M
SKU #259187

3m.jpg

Personally I just live with the paint rubbed off the frames. You can either have those big silver frame guards, if you go with the aluminum ones or have some spots on your frame where the paint is rubbed off.

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
MHO is they feel great.(aluminum ones) More to grip too...And brake protection !If money is a factor...look for the Acerbis, they are plastic and run 25 (usd)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You can get lots more surface area of grip tape on if you use frame guards. I use skateboard tape and cut it to fit the guards. Looks trick and I get a boards length for $5.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I had a bike that I put frame guards on and it took me a little bit to get used to the feel. Nothing bad just a weird sensation of of your foot kinda like snapping into place like a Lego block. Only happened when I left a jump face wrong and my feet would travel upwards , I could feel the ridge of the protector when coming back down. Now that I have a bike without frame protectors my ankles hurt, I can feel the frame of the bike in one spot.

Just a wierd observation in my case.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
The 3m grip tape from Home depot doesn't last long. Mine only lasted about 2-3 rides. The skateboard tape should last a lot longer.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i too like the extra grip from the aluminium frame guards. if your bike is new and is well painted, it is a good idea to put electrical tape around the frame before fitting the guards. if you don't, sand/dirt will get trapped in between the guard and the frame, and this will cause damage to the paint when riding.

cyclers10

Oct 19, 2000
i use electrical splicing tape the rubber kind, provides protection for both frame and boots and gives a little grip . last a little while but cheap and easy. later c10

Top Bottom