What is the best way to ride Baja first time?

scm

Dec 7, 2002
Anyone have any experience riding Baja other than going with a tour group? It seems that there are a few good tour groups to go with. But, the price adds up, especially when you consider that if you put together your own group of six riders @ $2000 each the total would equal some serious money. Is putting together our own tour a viable option? It seems to me a chase truck would be a necessity to carry spare parts, spare bike, clothes etc. Anyone done it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
Hi SCM,
I have been to Baha a couple of times. A good friend would lead the rides. In the early yrs he had a chase truck, but after numerous mishaps (crashes, drunken folks ect), they decided to leave the chase vehicles behind. We would start our trip in San Felipe, leaving our trucks in the parking lot (in plain view of the front desk) and head out. We stayed at the hotel at the beginning and end of the trip. Most of us wore these big fanny packs w/our gear in them. We always went around the middle of Feb. Its not to cold/or hot. Each person would carry items that would possibly be used, I carried medical as I have some medical training. Our leader had an uncanny sense to find the way to certain destenations. He gained quite a mental map after years of exploring and talking to others on how to get to certain places. Even still we had to back track or would come in late.There are GPS programs available, I saw some advertised on the web. The big thing obviously is getting gas. But its pretty amazing what u can find while riding out there. The little villages always have fuel, u just have to know how to find it, once in the middle of nowhere, we found a rancher who was able to help w/some welding that we needed. I would love to go again, i had some great experiances. let us know if u get a ride going, i am sure theres some folks that would love to go. It cost us about $500.00 for everything! lisa.

Top Bottom