What is the dampening difference between clicker and shim stack?

renes

Apr 7, 2002
I'm curious what the differences are.

Does the clicker effect the whole range of dampening or just certain shaft speeds? Personally I think it is just the slow speed on forks since the holes are so small that I'm sure you would get hydraulic lock at high speeds. I'm not sure about shocks, especially older ones like mine with only 1 clicker adjuster on the compression.

If you found that you had to maximize or minimize your clicker settings and needed to re-shim, how many shims would be necessary to add or subtract to get the clickers in the middle of their range again?

In addition to the above question, would you modify the high or low speed stack?

Does a setting of "almost all the way out" setting have the same effect per click as the "almost all the way in" per click?

Thanks for any feedback.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The clicker acts really as a bypass, so it allow fluid to bypass the shim stack completely, it should act across the range but imo is felt more in ls, you cant give a amount of shims to remove to get the clickers back to middle, this is because it all depends on how far out std is, on a cr125 fork you could remove all but one ls shim on the base valve and they are still fairly stiff , this is due to the mid valve, this is the problem with tuning -you have to take each fork and work with it, generic tuning wont work-some respond differently, this is why alot wont post up shim stacks-they spend days tuning to get a good setting.Its a little like going to you local tv rapair shop and asking them to allow you to see all the documention on the faults they have cured-its info hard learned and few are willing to give ti away.

Im not saying you are asking for handouts as i know you arnt, just showing why its so hard to get people to share stacks.

renes

Apr 7, 2002
marcusgunby said:
Im not saying you are asking for handouts as i know you arnt, just showing why its so hard to get people to share stacks.

Well good. I'm glad you weren't implying that I was asking for a stack. Because my question was how do the two relate. I'm just trying to learn the differences between the two.

Top Bottom