Christoferlee

Nov 5, 2006
Okay, what the *bleep* is going on here. I have a 06 CRF250R and I just pulled the carb off to clean the jets (again!), and when I open up the bowl... BLAM! Green crap everywhere! Stuck to everything! Feels like kinda like sand... I have NO clue what it is and how to get rid of it. I almost don't think it's possible to clean my carb now. Maybe somebody thought it would be funny and put something in my gas or something... Anyone have any idea what it may be?!

P.S.
Who knows the best way to rob a bank?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
uh, have you been running any sort of ethanol based fuel?

We have had a problem with our gas storage because of ethanol fuel and a fungus that grows in it. Bad juju.

I'd look at what fuel you are using first.

Feb 13, 2009
If the bike has ever run on methanol before or a fuel with a high alcohol content 75%+ and then you switched back to plain gas it can make this sludgy stuff you are talking about.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
How about some more details, such as how long the bike sat since it was run last, how old the gas was that you put in the bike last time you ran it, etc. Did you use any additives to the gas, or was it just straight pump gas?

I recommend cleaning the carburetor really well (soaking it in solvent) and also cleaning out the tank and fuel line.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Take the carburetor completely apart, remove any plastic or rubber parts. Go to your local "Napa" autoparts store and ask for some "Kleen Flo" carburetor cleaner. Not the type in the spray can, but the type in the 1L can that you can pour into a metal coffee can and soak the carburetor parts. Don't put the rubber or plastic parts in the cleaner because they may get damaged. Soak the parts for about a half an hour, take the parts out and wash them off in varsol. Take a spry can of carb. cleaner and shoot through all the passages. Dry the carb. parts with compressed air, and re-assemble. Make sure you wear rubber gloves when handling the "kleen flo" as it is not good to get on your skin. Another way is to soak it in a "sonic parts cleaner".

Christoferlee

Nov 5, 2006
Sharky243, I'll give that a try, thanks!

Rmc_olderthandirt, The bike only sat for about 2 weeks, with fresh premium gas, no additives. I also drained the bowl before I let it sit.

Juniordragster123, I have never ran anything other than normal pump premium gas.

My friend said it looks like lime or calcium deposits... maybe some sand got into the carb and that did something?? What ever it is, That "Kleen Flo" sounds like it will do the job.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Did it sit for any length of time? Even 2-4 weeks is to much for fuel with ethanol as an oxygenator. It attract water and is very corrosive to brass and aluminum. Basically everything your carb is made of. I bought a Polaris ATV for cheap $$$ cause the owner couldn't get it to run after sitting. Upon inspecting the carb, all jets corroded just like you found and white aluminum corrosion all over the bowl. I bought new jets and cleaned the bowl. I'd suggest always using stabil in your fuel. They even have one specifically for ethanol. Drain the fuel out of your bowl after every ride. The float bowl contains such a small amount of fuel that it evaporates quickly leaving ethanol and whatever water it attracted in the bowl to corrode the crap out of everything. You could also use VP race fuel. They have a blend without ethanol in it. Not easy to get around my parts so I drain my bowls and always use stabil. Haven't had any problems since.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Sandman 2.0 said:
I'd suggest always using stabil in your fuel.

Would this be like a standard operating procedure, or only when gas is stored for long periods of time?

Can anybody recommend a good rule of thumb for how long gas can be stored before it should be thrown out (without sta-bil in it)?
(with sta-bil in it)?

Is it even good/alright to run sta-bil through engines all the time?

is sta-bil necessary in 2-stroke gas?

(sorry for all the questions, but I had a buddy who recently had problems with a used bike he bought running badly, and after a whole bunch of troubleshooting it, realized the gas (that had been sitting in it for a while) was no good, so I just wanted to see what y'all had to say about it. :) )

Brian.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I stop at the gas station on my way to go riding and drain whatever is left afterwards into the lawn mower.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
Interesting. Like say my lawn mower sits all winter and starts right up and runs perfect in the spring year after year and I believe we have 10% ethanol. On my two strokes I ran straight race fuel and the carbs where always pristine when I took them apart - even when the bike sat for months. Heck, sitting all winter I never had a problem with the race fuel.

I kinda liked the idea of not having to deal with race gas + premix oil with the new four stroke and just dump premium pump gas in it, but is normal pump fuel that bad these days? I would be using Shell V-Power... I can get Powermist race fuel locally at the same station I buy my gas for my vehicles, they sell every blend Powermist makes in 5-gallon cans, but kinda liked the idea of saving money by not buying race gas for a change.

I'd like to hear more about what additive to use to keep from having this problem with pump gas....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Are you sure its fungus and not sand? Stabil would be the stuff for storage. Where ever you were buying gas, go somewhere else, could be low turn over or a bad tank. Go to a busy new gas station, run some in your truck to flush out the hose? Buy race fuel in metal sealed containers? And there was no grit in the slide or rear boot?

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
The Green Crap,

I think its from the gas evaporating, and moisture getting into the carb. Then the Brass oxidizes (rusts) I thik thats what happens.

Am I right? or no?

Either way, get a good carb cleaner and let it soak for an hour, it will be fine :)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yeah, thats why I asked? I do not think fungus would destroy the valves and seats, but the grit/sand will! I live close to the bp refinery in Whiting, Indiana. For a longtime, since gas dropped, the "this gas may contain 10% ethanol" stickers was removed from our local pumps, and I stop at a lot of different local stations(service plumbing). THEY ARE BACK, and gas is going back up, coincidence?

LCabral

Mar 31, 2009
I heard about that green fungus in some 4x4 here in Brazil. I'll try to find...

But i'm almost sure that is caused by ethanol that was not stored correctly.

Bad storage of ethanol at gas stations + Dirt + long time stopped bikes with fuel in the tank....

i'll try to find the thread and tell you the solution...

[]'s

Top Bottom