What to look for... Used CRF 450

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I'm looking at a 03 CRF 450R and I am jsut curious as to what things I should check on it and watch out for. I am not new to dirtbikes so I know the usual stuff like tires, chain, sprockets, breaks all that stuff. Im wondering what specific things to a 450 do I need to be aware of? It has a Carbon Fiber White Bro's silencer on it, renthal bars, white bro's graphics and after market lower triple tree clamps. The valves have always been kept in adjustment but there is no record of the top end being redone. Is this a worry? If the top end hasn't been redone should I plan on throwing a piston rings and head job in as soon as I get it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Josh

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
More than likely gonna need a top end. Take it to the nearest bike shop and have them perform a leak down test and check and adjust you valves (if adj needed). Then they can tell you if you need a new top end. The Hondas have been proven to be fairley bulletproff. You may not need a top end and be ready to ride.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
94formy said:
The valves have always been kept in adjustment but there is no record of the top end being redone. Is this a worry? If the top end hasn't been redone should I plan on throwing a piston rings and head job in as soon as I get it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Josh

On a 4 year old bike it's due for new valves, new valve springs, valve seals, a valve job, piston and rings, a cam chain tensioner, waterpump shaft, water pump bearings and the shaft seals. These are all standard high wear items on the CRF 450s.

Other things to look for are wear on the exhaust rocker roller, rusted steering head bearings (very common), and the common high wear items like linkage bearings and wheel bearings.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Seems high to me for a bike that needs a ton of maintenance.

Top Bottom