What will remove rust from chain?

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I have an RK X-ring chain that is getting rust on the sideplates. I guess I didn't put enough WD-40 on it after I washed it, but theres a lot of surface rust. Is there any chemicals that will remove this rust without damaging the X-rings?

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
what

WD-40:scream: . Dont use that crap on your chain. Buy some proper chain lube(bel-ray is great). I got the exact same chain as you and it was covered in rust the other day because i forgot to lube it after i washed it. I covered the chain in fluid film(great stuff), and then went riding. Well there is no rust on the chain now so that fixed that. How do you like those chains?. Thats the only chain that i buy. Excellent quality for the $money.:)

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I don't use the WD-40 for lube, I just cover the chain in it to repel the water and prevent rust. Once its dry, I apply MFR chain lube. So you say fluid film works good? I happen to have some of that. Thanks for the info.

Regarding the chain, I've only had it for a few weeks and have hardly any time on it. It seems to be good so far...

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Yup fluid film works great. I use that stuff for lubing everything on my bike (bolts), except for the cables. I load my chain up with Fluid Film once in a while for a good lube. The only downside is that dust likes it, but it is a great rust stopper.:)

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I was reading the fluid film can after I used it and sure enough it says, "great for stopping rust before it starts and killing rust on metal surfaces." Good stuff!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Navel Jelly

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Dry navels can be so very irritating.

Naval Jelly, even. :)

Actually, Buzz....I wouldn't use naval jelly on a ring chain, it may damage the rings. But then, I wouldn't use a ring chain.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Getting rust off of chain

I have found that a wire wheel on the end of my air grinder works wellfor removing the rust on the side plates. A wire bristled brush will work too.
Good luck.

00 KDX 200
Procircuit pipe and silencer
AMA
GNCC

Top Bottom