SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm looking for an XR200R. I was wondering what would be the ideal year(s) bike for me. I currently ride an 85 XR100R, but at 5'9", 130lbs, I'm too big for it. I know I can't handle a 250, so please don't suggest it. So, could someone please enlighten me on the best year(s) for an XR200R? Thanks.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Any year up to '91, except for the RFVC year, which I beleive was '84. After '91, Honda shortened the suspension almost 2", and removed the lights. Also, the rear shock is no longer fully adjustable (compression and rebound damping) as it was on the older models.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Agreed, the pre '91 bikes actually had some suspension travel, and suspension adjustability. Furthermore they came with a head/tail light and even grease zerks on the shock linkage. I have an '87 that I rode forever. The ONLY bad things about these 200's are the 17" rear wheel and weak drum brakes. That I have found, there are only two tires for the rear, the stock Bridgestone and an IRC tire.

As metioned before, the RFVC bikes, with dual carbs where supposedly a headache and not very reliable. I would concentrate on the '87 and '88 years. Good luck.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
The RFVC motor probably has more performance potential, but dual carbs do suck to work on. Maybe find one and send it to BBR for the ultimate XR200 treatment!

An XR250 isn't that hard to control, and there are a lot more performance options. You're big enough (trust me, I used to be a car salesman!)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
the 81 82 XR200 "R" s were decent doesn't suffer from the dual carb setup or the 17" rear wheel. 83 thru 85 you'll want to avoid cause of the daul carb setup cause it was sorta a pain also had the funky 17" rear wheel. in 86 it was switched back to a one carb setup and was alot better graphic updates in 87 and the bike was discontined in 88 and 89 then came back in 90 as a play bike. If you want a XR 200 get the "R" model back when it was still considered a race bike thats what the R stands for. Non of the bikes will have disc's brakes. I think you should just move up to a 250 I'm 4" shorter than you and I ride a 2002 YZ125 so come on step up to the plate you can handle it.

NDRO RDR

May 11, 2000
'88's the one

MXP, I think you are wrong on the years that the 200 was not avail. I'm pretty sure that it was made in '88, this is the most desirable year. It has full suspension ( with alum linkage pieces ) lights, odo. The 90 model has steel suspension parts, no lights, and no odo. I think it was about 92 or 93 that they shortened the suspension.

Hope this helps.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Thanks for the help. I've heard of some reliability issues with the 84-85 models with dual carbs. I'll be looking for pre 91 models, but after 81 or around there. I wish I could do the BBR thing, but no way will I be able to. Thanks for the help, and yes, the XR250R is too big/heavy for me, I've tried them, but for tight trails, it's too heavy for me. Thanks again.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Graft some forks off of an 86/87 KDX200 onto an 81/82/83 model and you will approach perfection on two wheels. The graft is easy, and the disc brake and fat forks are great!! The rear suspension on those years is actually pretty good.

Top Bottom