MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
alright..just moved my brother up from a 1990 cr80 to a 1999 cr80r-expert today..picked it up today it looked mint, good compression, started up first kick, and look very well maintained. i took it home and started it up took it up and down the street a couple times jsut to see how felt with the bore kit he had on it and the boyeseen reeds..it ran fine but the fuel it was burning smelt horrible, and then when i pulled back into the garage my brother said there were some sparks shooting out of the exhaust pipe..when i start it up there is a little jingle noise kind off.and when i turned it off after ridding it, there was smoke coming out of he exhuast..and not the normal amount..i took it out again, and i got the bad smell..and the jingling when i was just sitting there revving..but no smoking...any clue what is wrong?

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
He probably just had octane boost in the tank. That stuff smells horrible. drain the gas and put your own premix in and see if it still smells.

MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
it smelt like a bad burning smell..almost like the bike was on fire..i don't think it was the fuel cause it smelt fine until i actually took it out..but when i had it running just sitting there it smelt fine..it was spraying some oil also..kind of smelt like burning plastic..but wasnt melting or touching anything?

Last edited:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
make sure the bike isnt overheating. How long did you rev it up and stuff sitting there before you actually rode it around and smelled something burning?

A7594217

Jul 15, 2007
My buddys cr250 has the same thing, it was a wore top end. And the jingling alone usually means top end. Sounds like jingling keys when reving it right. And i know what smell you mean because in the morning his bike had no smell and after riding some narly hills and following him i smelt some burt metal or something.

MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
i wasnt sitting there long at all..just enough to warm it up..about 2 min. yeah A7... thats exactally what it was it smelt like burning metal..

Top Bottom