Wheel Bearings and swing arm - Grease

coretex

Aug 31, 2005
Hi Guys

I have a new yz250, and i have been told the factory greasing is very little. i have rode the bike about 5 times now, and i don't want to premature wear on the bearings front and rear and swing arm, im looking at some water proof grease, but i have little machnicaly experience and want to have a shot at doing this my self instead of paying some one to do so.

Whats involved, how hard is it to do? are they are any how-to for my bike or any doc besides the manual.

thanks

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
coretex,

The advice you were given is correct. Most (read almost always) factory assembly lube is minimal at best. Go to your local parts store and purchase a good quality waterproof grease. Spend an evening taking apart your swing arm, linkage, and steering head and lube them up good. I have gone so far as to lube the rear brake pivot bolt and kickstarter too.

Definately get a manual, it makes maintenence very easy.

Good luck, Steve.

Last edited:

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
No grease repels dust so don't just grease em & forget em thinking the waterproof grease was an over site at the YZ factory.
The more you ride in sandy conditions the more you should clean & regrease, especially the swingarm/shock area.
Keep that YZ in good shape for me because I'll be buying it off ya next spring. :nod:

Pick up a torque wrench. Useful on nuts that torque a joint that moves.

coretex

Aug 31, 2005
i_955 said:
No grease repels dust so don't just grease em & forget em thinking the waterproof grease was an over site at the YZ factory.
The more you ride in sandy conditions the more you should clean & regrease, especially the swingarm/shock area.
Keep that YZ in good shape for me because I'll be buying it off ya next spring. :nod:

Pick up a torque wrench. Useful on nuts that torque a joint that moves.

Ya going to pay shipping to AUS :)

Id like to keep best of care of this bike its my first new one, i have the manual that came with it, some parts get a bit hairy and don't want to stuff things up!
Id like to note im still getting used to the powerband of the bike it still controls me at times not good im 100kg which is like 220lb i think, and still throws me around like a bag of crap! :)

I had a quick look last night repacking the bearings i think i can handle the swingarm im a bit iffy on, the guy said i prob got around 6mnths till i should look at replacing / regreasing the bike. I ride mostly Trails in the in mountains maintly mud, not much dust its winter/spring here at the moment.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Ya, Kiwi land is a little far for shipping so go ahead and beat the living crap out of it. :ride:
I hope to walk a brand new one out of a showroom some day. :| but not this year.

The day a 250 2 stroke doesn't scare me is the day I sign myself into the insane asylum (again :coocoo: ) or turn pro.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Once you have serviced the bike proper with a good grease, you can easily wait six months to do it again...depending on how much you ride.
BUT...do not wait that long with the factory grease. It is way insufficient to last more than a few hours, if at all.

No grease is "waterproof", just some fight emulsification more than others. Any marine grease would be a good choice. I like any lithium based grease with moly...lots of moly.
Some greases are superior to others...but the brand and type of grease is FAR less important than keeping a regular maintenance schedule, and keeping the grease changed out often.
This allows you to get dirt out, and keeps pliable grease, that has not seperated, in.

Try to always choose a lithium base grease. Calcium grease is a mistake.

Top Bottom