domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
On my '92 "E" model I will be running 13-49 sprockets. This gives me a choice of chain lengths. I can run a 110 or a 112 link chain. The 110 would put my wheel all the way forward,at about the 1/2 mark on my snails.The 112 would move it back to about the 5-1/2 mark on my adjusters.My question is,will the wheelbase difference really make any noticeable difference in handling?How so?I will be running an RK X-ring, so there will be very little, if any stretch.Pros?Cons?
Thanx,Dave

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I used to run different length chains and gearing on my dual sported KDX250. With my 'trail' set up, the wheel was all the way forward, and for street is was near all the way back (4 link longer chain and on tooth larger CS sprocket).

It was a subtle but noticeable difference. All the way forward the bike turns a little quicker at the expense of some stability. In theory, the shorter wheelbase will also make you slightly more likely to loop out while climbing hills. If you don't adjust the spring, you will have a little less sag.

Subtle changes that compliment your style and riding conditions are often rewarded. You might like the change, so I would say give it a try if you ride tight stuff.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
In the winter I run the snails starting at 7.5 going to 8.5 for one chain. This is for high speed sandy conditions, and 2 clicks in front and rear susp.
For the tight slow trails I start at 3.5 to 4.5 and back out on the clicks.
Drop the front forks if you feel the need to.

Thanks for the reminder... time to shorten the chain.

Top Bottom