Where to vacation this winter for ultimate off-road trail riding/enduro experience

jonzimmy

Sep 12, 2004
Hey there, I am a Minnesotan, and unfortunately will be puting away my bike in another month or two for winter. My wife and I, and two 2 buddies and their wives are trying to plan a bike trip this winter (jan/feb) in a warmer climate. I ride a DRZ 400, friend rides a Honda 650, and one with a KLR 250, all are street legal dual-purpose bikes.

If anyone has any tips on a GREAT vacation destination area, I would love to hear about it.

thanks!

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
We ride at Croom in Brooksville Florida which is located 50 miles West of Orlando. Croom is directly off of I-75 (Brooksville Exit) and the access road to the park runs parallel with the South Bound lane of I-75. There is even a really good bike shop located right next to the enterance. The will have all the basics that you made need if you break something. The riding area is about 2600 acres.
Also check what's in Georgia...
http://www.floridatrailriders.org/

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
I thought I would make my "snowbird" basecamp in Marysvale, Utah. I don't know. Maybe it isn't warm enough?

My goal is to ride as much of the Paiute Trail system, as I can, weather permitting.

The trails are also for motorcycles.

The ATVUtah group there has good maps and trail information, for their jamboree, just finishing up right now.

I also want to ride the dual-sport motorcycle, everywhere I can in Canyonland, and Arches: the dirt roads are legal.

The rest of the winter, I will be on the trails and "scenic drives" in Arizona near Prescott, and New Mexico, near Albuquerque.

Last edited:

CR125 rider

Sep 16, 2004
if its not too far for you then go down to southern california, we have some of the best deserts out here to ride at. my most favorite is a place called Ocotillo Wells (you can look up on google to find more info about it) , the best thing of all is that instead of the 2600 sq miles of riding land theres 75,000 of it!!! You never run out of space and you always find a new place to ride out there everytime you go. :cool:

BlingBling

Sep 16, 2004
Is this for a dual-sport, like my bike?

Is this for 100% dirt bikes?

Are the trails used often, or well marked?

Is it necessary to have the bike licensed?

L

LukeRips

Baja

KXTodd said:
Leave the bikes at home, the easy way.
http://motorcycleadventurecompany.com/

I've ridden with Chris Haines. This is classy outfit. They provide everything all you need to do is show up. You can even choose your weapon.

CRF230
XR400
XR650

You'll actually ride on the Baja500 course and visit Mike's Sky Ranch. If your a serious dirtrider you've got to see Mike's. :cool:

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Yes sir! I can't imagine how they could have made the trip any better :aj:
We did see another tour group there not sure which one but compared to Chris Haines they were slummin.

We plan on going again this winter.

jonzimmy

Sep 12, 2004
thanks to everyone for great tips on riding! Just got back from an area called spider lake state forest, in north/central Minnesota, we put on about 125 miles of tight, challenging trails...it was a blast!

I will research the info you posted, keep it coming!!!

thanks, jon

no2tracks

Sep 26, 2004
Moab

We go to Moab during the winter. It's off season and rates are low and negotiable. Gotta keep an eye on the weather though, it could snow or be perfect!

jonzimmy

Sep 12, 2004
follow up on Moab

thanks for the tip on Moab, any other suggestions as far as where "Moab" is "city/state"....you would recomemend? accomadations? is it state land, trail riding?

Top Bottom