EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I think that I've been bitten by the 2 stroke bug. I know that 4 strokes are in vogue, but last weekend I rode a friend's RM250 and all I can say is WOW. Coming off my XR400, the power and acceleration were quite exciting. The XR is a great bike for certain situations, but riding a 2 stroke was an entirely different experience. I've heard and read many positive things about KTMs and am now in information gathering mode. Hopefully I'll be in buying mode soon.

I'm curious to hear from KTM owners what they like and dislike about the MXC and EXC models. Are they significantly different bikes, or are the differences more subtle? Any difference in the maintenance required for each model? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

My riding interests are varied; trails, desert, hare scrambles. No MX yet, but I'd like to give that a try in the near future too and be able to ride locals tracks. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 170-175. Many thanks.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
The biggest differences are, lights (exc), wide ratio tranny (exc). The MXC is probably 5 lbs lighter because of the extra stuff that comes on the EXC. If you find yourself riding a lot of WFO type of terrain, consider the EXC. The MXC has the close ratio tranny (which I prefer). You will not be dissatisfied with either bike. If you like the RM's power, you will love a KTM.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Full-on desert racers usually prefer the MXC becuase the closer ratio tranny keeps 'em in the meat of the powerband more when they're in deep sand. For the casual rider I think the EXC tranny is better-more top end and less shifting......

TBob

May 7, 2001
Originally posted by PTCruiser
Full-on desert racers usually prefer the MXC becuase the closer ratio tranny keeps 'em in the meat of the powerband more when they're in deep sand. For the casual rider I think the EXC tranny is better-more top end and less shifting......

I'd have to diagree with you on this being from AZ where most of the riding
is desert - All of my friends and myself feel the wide ratio gearing is much
better in the desert. I would also go as far to say that if the majority of
your riding is tight single track the close 1-3 gearing on the MXC would be
the way to go.

Last edited:

Fast Frank 1

Oct 31, 2000
MX or EXC

Another area to consider is the suspension the sx and exc have diffrent forks. I have a 99 300 exc That I ride 98% of the time on trail. I only ride mx tracks to tune(engine work) on because they are close by and my current setup is not made for doubles. So if you want to motocross but like the EXC engine you could have a suspension shop set your EXC for MX. Or try Gas-Gas bikes I know they sell bikes with Enduro engines and SX suspension. My bad on the Sx -Mx- Exc Forks. My brain thinks faster than I can type.

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I selected the EXC after debating between the two. Looking at my own riding style, which is probably 60% track, 40% trails (used to be the other way around but I haven’t been trailriding as much lately) and my skill level (I’ve been riding for about a year, and had a XR200) the heavier flywheel, wide-ratio tranny and softer suspension sold me on the EXC. I bought a 2001 200 and am very, very happy. These bikes have incredible power and a great feel. I am improving in leaps and bounds with every minute I spend in the seat. Although the EXC is meant for off-road more than motocross, at my skill level (beginner) it is perfectly capable. If I were jumping higher and riding faster I would want a stiffer suspension and close-ratio gearbox but right now it does great for me on the track. On the trails, I was very surprised at how easy to ride it is. I always considered 2-strokes to be unmanageable but the more I ride it, the happier I am. It is not unmanageable at all, just takes a little more thought and quicker reactions. I drag-raced a YZ 250 and won on a gravel road, and I wasn’t even tapped out yet. In the tight stuff use the clutch a lot but 1st gear is a real low crawler gear, although I prefer to ride a gear high and slip the clutch since I’m not so good at the throttle control yet. The smoother power in the higher gear makes it easier for me to ride.

All in all, it is the perfect bike and I would sell anyone a KTM. Plus they have the prettiest plastic. :confused:

I took the lights off mine and replaced the orange front fender with silver and the orange shrouds with black ones; I also added new Acerbis Rally 2 guards, removed the kickstand and added an Enduro Engineering clutch cylinder guard. Pictures are coming soon.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Now I've got to say more:

The EXC & MXC tranny's vary based on bike size. The 250-380 have the same 1st & 2nd gears. The MXC in these models close up 3-5. The 200 is different I have NO idea about the rfs, but if I were to guess I would say 1 & 2 are the same in those as well.

In Nevada desert racing, the truly fast KTM riders (not me) ride the MXC (mostly). Not all of them!

Fast Frank - I have a '99 300MXC. I thought the forks and fork springs were the same on both bikes. Let's compare. The manual does have a dual listed part number for the forks. E-mail me the part number on the top cap of your exc's forks and I will e-mail you mine, when I get home tonight. We'll see if the are different.

Firecracker - why would you take off the aluminum kickstand that weighs probably all of 1 lb.? Do you ride MX that often?

Just couldn't resist adding a little more to the conversation. Once again you can't go wrong with either model. The perfect model would be an MXC with a 6th gear, IMO.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, the kickstand decision was more because I broke it first. :eek: At the Muddy Butt HS, I broke the little foot thingy off the bottom so it wouldn’t hold the bike anymore—unless I was on asphalt, it would just sink in. It was bent too and the bolt that holds it on was bent and partially sheared off. My bike kinda took a beating. So rather than order a new one and try to fix it, we just took it off and Steve gave me an extra triangle stand. It was easier to just take it off. I haven’t really missed it that much. I just find a stick or shut the gas off and lay it down. (I’ve remembered to turn the gas back on again, too . . . so far . . . )

Besides, my motocross buddies assure me I look cooler without it. :silly:

Before anybody lectures me, I did NOT try to start it on the kickstand. I’d already been warned. I just landed on it a couple times while falling down in the woods.

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
I have a '98 300 M/XC and don't have a lot of seat time on any EXC models but for what it is worth, I can tell you that I love my bike. I do a lot of wide-open desert riding with some gnarly single-track mountain riding in the summer. I understand first and second to be the same on both bikes and then 3-5 differ. The only thing I have really ever wanted is consistent with what Strick said.....a 6th gear. Sometimes in the fast sections of the desert I run out of "gear" too fast but it is probably a nice insurance policy :-) My friend has a 200 E/XC and he is able to pull away from me on the straights.....not because of power, simply because of gearing. I don't think you could go wrong with either bike.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
If you are looking at a new bike the suspension componets and settings are the same between MXC and EXC. The SX is the one that is different. I have an EXC and have spent some time in the desert. It does just fine. Goes faster than I want to even in deep sand. The versitility of the EXC is what I really like. I can ride single track in the forest and then ride down to the desert and go WFO. I don't think either one would be a bad choice. See if you can try each before you decide.

TBob

May 7, 2001
Originally posted by Strick
Now I've got to say more:

The EXC & MXC tranny's vary based on bike size. The 250-380 have the same 1st & 2nd gears. The MXC in these models close up 3-5. The 200 is different I have NO idea about the rfs, but if I were to guess I would say 1 & 2 are the same in those as well.

In Nevada desert racing, the truly fast KTM riders (not me) ride the MXC (mostly). Not all of them!

Fast Frank - I have a '99 300MXC. I thought the forks and fork springs were the same on both bikes. Let's compare. The manual does have a dual listed part number for the forks. E-mail me the part number on the top cap of your exc's forks and I will e-mail you mine, when I get home tonight. We'll see if the are different.

Firecracker - why would you take off the aluminum kickstand that weighs probably all of 1 lb.? Do you ride MX that often?

Just couldn't resist adding a little more to the conversation. Once again you can't go wrong with either model. The perfect model would be an MXC with a 6th gear, IMO.

On the RFS the MXC has a close 1-3 4th is shared by the MXC and the EXC
with 4th and 5th being again different. The MXC ends up slightly higher
but not enough to make up for the tall first gear it has. The problem with
that is if your doing any slow going technical work you need to gear the
MXC way down to make first usable - then your top end suffers were the
EXC allows you to have a very usabe 1st and still have a great top. Here
are the gear ratios on the RFS Mxc vc Exc
MXC
1st = 16:32
2nd=18:30
3rd=20:28
4th= 22:26
5th=24:24
6th=27:1?
EXC
1st=14:34
2nd=17:31
3rd=19:28
4th=22:26
5th=24:23
6th=26:21
EM rider-
Hopefully this will be more helpfull to you than to guys debating which
works better in the desert.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by DanS
If you are looking at a new bike the suspension componets and settings are the same between MXC and EXC. The SX is the one that is different. I have an EXC and have spent some time in the desert. It does just fine. Goes faster than I want to even in deep sand. The versitility of the EXC is what I really like. I can ride single track in the forest and then ride down to the desert and go WFO. I don't think either one would be a bad choice. See if you can try each before you decide.

Dan it right on the nose. MXC and EXC share the exact same suspension in every way. I've owned both MXC's and EXC's. I prefer the EXC for it's versatility and stock lights.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I went with the EXC for the wide ratio tranny. The first thing I did when I got it home was take off the lights. The exc (and I'm sure the mxc is as well) is so versatile. One day I can ride tight singletrack, the next fire roads, adn hit the MX track the next day and feel just fine. What a great bike. I'll probably buy another after this one.

EM Rider-What size are you considering?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I picked the EXC for the same reasons all the other EXC riders did-versatility. I don't know the specs on the newer ones, but my '96 360 has a 3.2 gallon gas tank which is very narrow. Coupled with the wide ratio tranny, I've managed to easily do 50-60 mile loops of varied terrain. (Hill-climb,tight 2nd gear, powerline, etc.) And yes, even though mine's wide ratio, I still find myself reaching for that non-existing 6th gear!:p

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Thanks!

Been on an airplane for the past 24 hours :( and am just now catching up on all the feedback. This is all very helpful and greatly appreciated. Given the mix of riding I'm likely to be doing and my ability level (novice at best), I'll likely go with the EXC because it seems like a more versatile bike. Right now I'm leaning toward the 300, but am open to suggestions there too. That and the 200 seem to be the most popular sizes so I might as well go with what works! If I choose the 300, what class will I have to ride in if I do any desert racing (D-37). I'm 36 and still have a lot to learn. Thanks.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
At 36 you will be in the Vet class, and can ride any cc you want. Don't rule out the'01 250. The new 250 is the best 250 KTM has made. Although, I am partial to the 300:confused:

mknight

Jun 14, 2000
Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by EM rider
If I choose the 300, what class will I have to ride in if I do any desert racing (D-37). I'm 36 and still have a lot to learn. Thanks.

Here in the Utah Desert Series all of the age classes (Over 25, Over 30, Over 35, etc.) are open classes, meaning that you can race any size bike.

Top Bottom