Neilmartin

Jan 20, 2002
I have a KLX300 at the moment, which i like a lot but i'm fed up with the kick starting drill that comes with it. If we stop when were out i'm always the last to get going.

My riding consists of mainly trail riding (Woods and fire roads, no rocks) with the odd enduro, In the past i have raced MX (10 years ago). I am 5'11 and 210 lbs.

I'm thinking of buying a new KTM exc (2 stroke i can't afford the thumpers), the question is which one? I want to be able to keep up with my riding buddies all who have DR400E's. I do like the handling and the weight of my KLX, and i also quite like the low down torque of it.

So guys which one do you reccomend? my dealer says that the 200 is flying out the door at the moment and in his opinion it has the nicest engine. I was drawn to the 300 after reading posts here, but i'm concerned it may be a bit of a beast.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Neil

Neil

Neilmartin

Jan 20, 2002
Fuel Range

Whoops i also forgot to ask what sort of fuel range i'll get out of these bikes.? I get around 75 - 80 miles from my KLX riding fairly hard.

NEil

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Well, I'm a bit shorter than you but about 10 pounds lighter. I had a 97 250 KTM EXC and just bought a 300. I'd go with the 300.

If you are somewhat cautious you'll be riding at slower speeds. The 300 has more grunt at the bottom than the 250 or 200 which really helps. If you live at altitude as I do you need the extra grunt too.

The 300 can rip too, it's just easier to ride slower. Also there is a $500 voucher on the 300 right now that you might be able to get.

Range - don't know. I used to get 75 or so on my 250 before going to reserve, but I'm pretty slow. I imagine that I'll get about that much total on the 300. Bigger piston and I'm a little faster now.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
power wise the 250 will whack the drz pretty bad and in the suspension dept the 200 will be enough. ultimatly the 400exc may be the sweet setup with close to 250 2 stroke power and just a little more weight.

I got the 250 because it was a little quieter suspension wise than the 200 and turned a little better than the 300. The 250 will lug pretty good when jetted correctly but if i was over 200lbs or rode at 4000 ft I might go with the 300. I haven't felt I needed more power than the 250 yet.

Top Bottom