Which of these should I buy? help me out plz

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
I'm new to this forum so here's a little background. I used to ride a lot of old crappy dirtbikes. Now I actually have a job so I am looking to get back into it. Ideally I want a 250, I would like a 4 stroke (I think) and it MUST be mono-shock suspension. I plan on riding mainly trail and in the hills with some minor jumping going on. I would like it to be street legal as well (or with the ability to make it legal) but that is less of an issue. I am 6'1" around 185 pounds if that helps. Anyway here is what I found for sale within 70 miles of me. Do any of these deals stand out to you guys or are any of these junk that I should not even consider?

1)1985 Honda CR250 - $350
2)1987 Yamaha YZ490 (extras, pipe, JN susp) - $1500
3)1992 Honda XR600 (Baja kit, street legal) - $1000/obo
4)1987 Honda CR500 - $600/obo
5)1985 Yamaha YZ250 - $1000
6)1986 Kawasaki KDX200 (pipe) - $1300
7)1986 Kawasaki KX250 (pipe) - $1050
8)1987 Honda CR250 (pipe, helmet, gloves, etc) - $1650/obo

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
All of these bikes except the XR are two strokes. You said you would prefer a four stroke. :scream: Which brings me to my next point which is they are all pretty vintage machines and with a 2-stroke this will probably mean constant maintenance and money spent fixing them up. :( 4-strokes make better bikes to ride on road if that's something your interested in ;) 2-strokes are usually licensed only to get from trail to trail on the road. If you could up the dollar amount to spend it would help considerably. If this isn't an option then I would have to say the XR would be the best bet. They are sound machines that will cause you less mental trauma then the vintage 2-strokes. Not to mention it's 5 years newer then all the other bikes you listed. Hope this helps. :)

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I agree with W.P.EXC.
If you want something road legal, the XR is your best hope.
(according to your post it is already street legal!)
That YZ490 (or the CR500) would be a rippin' dualsport though!! :cool:
Although i'm not sure how you would get a 2-stroke street legalized in Kalifornia though.....:think

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
I should clarify a little maybe

I realize that most of these are 2 strokes, it seems to be the only thing I can find in my price range. I guess I am just looking for a cheap bike for now to see if I have the time (and skill) to get back into riding. I don't want to drop 3 to 4 grand and realize I don't ride. I would love to find something cheaper that I can ride relatively repair-free for around 4-6 months and then upgrade if I want to stick with it. The 2 strokes mentioned, will they break down a lot in your opinions and require a lot of maintenance? Also do they even make later 80s early 90s 4 strokes under 600cc? The XR600 looks great at $1000 with baja kit but it weighs in at over 270 pounds dry. Thanks for all your help.

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Even though the XR is heavy, I too think it would be your best bet out of the bikes you've mentioned. It's newer, and a thumper. So it would probably be the most dependable of the bunch.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
It's hard to say for sure if or how often these bikes will break down. It may break all the time or not to often. It will depend on how ragged out they are. The bottom line is the more vintage the machine the more chance for things to fail. There are plenty of 4-strokes under 600cc in the late 80's and early 90's, just keep your eye out.

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
East Bay?

hey, I live in San Pablo. I ride at Hollister alot, some Metcalf, club moto, Carneigie, etc...

I had a XR400 and it worked well. I now have a YZ400 and it rips.

I would say look at the XR, it will work well around here.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I agree with KawieKX125. I think 5-8 are overpriced.I also think 2 is overpriced. I think the CR500 is a good deal and a very fun bike but I think it may be a little too much bike for you at this point. I agree with everyone else that th XR probablly will fill your needs best but it may be wise for you to wait a little longer and hopefully find a smaller four stroke.

Either way let us know what you get.

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
A street legal '92 XR600 for $1000 - what's wrong with it? I sold my street legal '88 XR600 in '98 for $1700....

Not trying to make an overt sales attempt but I have a '90 KX500 that I keep waffling on what to do with it. If I sell it I'd like to get a little more than what you're showing for the bikes listed but I'm willing to bet it's in a lot better condition than any of those & wouldn't hesitate to sell it to a friend. If your interested in a 500cc 2stroke send me an email at brian4wd@hotmail.com

Brian

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
I'm still searching for THE bike

What do you guys think of a 1984 XR350R? I found one for $900 that claims it is in good shape. I think I want a 4 stroke for lower end power, and b/c of less maintenance. Plus it is easier to make street legal and is usually allowed more places than 2 stroke. However I like the idea of getting a CR250. Ok, back to the question, is the 1984 XR350R a good strong bike for a 6'1" 185 pound guy?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
what happened to the XR600? I'm 5'11, 180, and I rode a 91 or 92 (can't remember now, it was borrowed) XR600 for about a year. It was heavy, took a while to learn to start (but I eventually did, sort of), but I have to admit it was kinda fun to ride. As long as the trail didn't get too technical, you really couldn't feel the weight. It was very plush on the trail, had a great motor, and never once crapped out on us in any way, for as long as it was owned by my friend (about 4 years). We hardly touched it with a tool or washcloth. I think he adjusted the valves once. And it was street legal, too. That was really fun!. He sure could blaze on it!

For me, it wasn't the greatest bike because I was still learning, and when things got rough (he's a pretty good rider, and always lead me down the gnarliest trails) it proved a handfull. But, if I found one today for that price, I'd consider it- I had to sell my '00 CR250 last year and am trying to save $$$ for a new(er) bike to buy within the next year.

I'd guess any other bike, for that little money, is going to be a roach. Trust me, I've spent $1000 on a bike before. It cost me another $1000 to keep it going until the engine finally grenaded. Remeber the old saying- you get what you pay for. In this case, that XR is probably the only exception. Stick with '87(I think?) or newer XRs (for the better technology they come with) and you'll be fine. And I can't think of any place that a 4 stroke is allowed that a 2 stroke is not. Green sticker is the issue, not engine type.

Regarding the 84 XR350- I don't know anything about them, but my friend owned one, and said it was a nightmare on the trail. Or maybe it was an XL.

Good luck!

Top Bottom