snacob14

Aug 30, 2006
So I'm in the market for a used 250 twostroke. I've looked at a few yzf 400, 426's as well. But here is my main focus. I have three bikes that I'm thinking serious about currently. The prices are the same around 1600 bucks.
98 Kx 250 fatty pipe handgaurds engine is recently rebuilt($1600)
99 Yz 250 not sure of rebuild date, fatty pipe tapers, arc break away levers and excel wheels(Black) ($1500)
02 CR 250 fatty, topend rebuild ($1700)

These are my choices, I've always been a honda guy, but the Kx certainly intrigues me since it will be mostly used for harescrambles. Any input on these years or bikes would be helpful, anything I should look out for would be great to. thanks

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
SpeedyManiac said:
I'd go with whatever one is in the best shape for the price.

What he said.

But the CR is four years newer than the KX, which makes it a much better value. Oh yeah, the Excel rims on the YZ are factory stock as I recall. They're still Excel rims, of course, but they're not extra-cost aftermarket goodies so keep that in mind.

As for the "top end rebuilds" done on them, I take that stuff with a grain of salt. About 95% of bikes for sale are listed as having a "fresh top end" and I just don't buy it. Unless they can produce verifiable proof of the work being done, don't assume it is anything more than marketing crapola. I just don't see most sellers putting $125+ into a new top end for a bike they're going to sell the next week.

snacob14

Aug 30, 2006
I hear that on the top end rebuilds, The real thing the kx has going for it is that its a low hour bike, I can certainly tell by the shape it is in and the guy is someone who i trust. But, the yamaha has tons of aftermarket The excel's are black so they are definitnely aftermarket, but I don't know.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom