goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I have a 95 KDX 200 bone stock. I'am going to replace the reeds should I go with oem reeds($?), Boyesen Power Reeds ($26.95), or Boyseen Pro Series Reeds (46.50)? If I change the reeds do I need to make any adjustments to the carb? Thanks for the help.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Go with the Power reeds.....

They will help bottom end throttle response vs stock reeds. I've heard the other Boyesen reeds break more easily. As far as jetting it varies, some need to drop the main jet and some do not. I didn't, it was too lean. I love them power reeds on my 220.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I also recommend the Power reeds. Either one will work fine. In my opinion the extra $20 is not worth it on the Pro reeds.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
reeds

Helo kdx fans. I am new to the kdx world and 2 strokes for that matter so please bear with me. What exactly are theses reeds and what do thaey do?
thank you
Lew

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Simply put...

the reeds are located between the cylinder and the carb. As you change throttle settings the reeds open or close to adjust the amount of fuel introduced into the combustion chamber. The Boyesen reeds seem to work better than the stockers and allow quicker throttle response.

Mick H

Aug 29, 2001
Which Reeds

Hi Guy's, this is a great site, Iv'e just signed up. I can't belive how many KDX freaks are around it's a bit of a worry really?. I've got a 2000 200 I've put on a pro-circuit works pipe and factory sound silencer which really got it going and I just put in the power reeds the other day and they've really opened the thing up. GREATINGS FROM AUSTRALIA - GO SHANE WATTS...:p

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Re: reeds

Originally posted by Lew
Helo kdx fans. I am new to the kdx world and 2 strokes for that matter so please bear with me. What exactly are theses reeds and what do thaey do?
thank you
Lew

Reeds act like a one way valve. When the piston travels upward it creates a vacuum underneath it which causes the reeds to open and let air/fuel into the cylinder which is stored below the piston in the crankcase. After combustion the piston travels downward creating high pressure under the piston which causes the reeds to close and the air/fuel to travel from the crankcase through the ports past the closed reeds and to the top of the piston....repeat.

Some reeds open farther with less pressure which helps throttle response.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
spud ric's #2 reeds need replacement©

his kdx 200 W/220 cylinder on it, has a rad valve on it© the tips are burnt & carbon colored? I'd like to replace them with the power reeds © will they fit the rad valve, also I'd like to stay away from any thing carbon! the power reed are plastic are'nt they?

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Re: spud ric's #2 reeds need replacement©

Originally posted by 70 marlin
his kdx 200 W/220 cylinder on it, has a rad valve on it© the tips are burnt & carbon colored? I'd like to replace them with the power reeds © will they fit the rad valve, also I'd like to stay away from any thing carbon! the power reed are plastic are'nt they?

I am not 100% but I think you are stuck with the pro reeds on the rad valve and the power reeds will not fit.

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Marlin,
Fred T is correct, with the rad valve you will have to go with the pro series reeds for the rad valve. I also looked for other options but came up empty.:(
goldman15,
The power reeds work great on kdx's, another option is a set of carbon-tech reeds as they now make them for our bikes. I have heard good things about these reeds although I have yet to try them. Their low tension reeds would be best for low end responce and the high tension set for the upper power range.--Dan

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I have no Idea whats in it now?

There some kinda plastic reed? I thought the pro reed were a plastic over carbon set up? I still have the stockers to fall back on though© just hate to put that expensive boysen unit on the shelf©

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Marlin,
The original rad valves for the KDX's came with power reeds installed. This is most likely what you have in your son's bike. Mine also came with these but the newer ones are shipped with the carbon pro series type. This is what I used to replace my "glass" reeds when they wore out, I don't belive that the power reeds are avalible for the rad valve anymore.--Dan

Top Bottom