Jul 4, 2006
I can tell you it's not my son's favorite place to ride. But for me if he's going to push corner speed or just push himself in general I'd rather have him go down in this stuff. This is a friends private track we usually have to ourselves because not many like riding here.

I can also tell you he's improved way faster than most other kids who started riding at the same time.

In sand your mistakes are magnified whether it be body position or throttle and clutch control. Here's some photo's from yesterday down here in West central Fl.
DSC01686.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

Later...

Last edited:

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I'm learning to ride, and sand is a big part of the terrain in a small area that I ride real close to my house. It does get pretty scary pretty quick sometimes!
Your kid looks like he's got it fully under control. How old is he? My 3 year old son is getting more aggressive and has more control over his pw50 every day. Seeing pictures of smaller kids tearing it up kinda gives me a glimpse of what's to come for me.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Theres some sand around here and its definitly hard to ride if you dont know hot to.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Its hard to keep your front wheel from slipping.

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
sand is all i get... it is tough, it slows you down constantly, down here in SW FL, its either hard limestone or sugar sand, and almost all the trails around me are ridden on by 4wheelers and trucks, so its always tor up.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
sand is good if you fall :laugh: softer landing
killerkx you need to get up here to croom
steve does your boy race at dade city or brooksville?
if he goes to dade city give me a shout ill come up and watch

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Sand doesn't hurt as bad when you fall in it but its not fun when you get it down your pants :bang:

Jul 4, 2006
Sparky he'll be racing Dade City points this Saturday night, we're usually there every Thursday also. Made it to Brooksville this Sunday for a hour or so before being invited to a private track over in Bushnell.

Come say hi if you're there Thur. or Sat.

Hey Sparky have you heard of another track that's built and ready to open there in Dade City somewhere?

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
no i havent heard about it ill ask around though
ill come up and watch sat night and chill out like watching the little guys race they have such a blast
my neighbor runs the pasco cycles trailer at the track just found out sunday
i was out at croom sun they were practicing on the private track next to croom watched them for a while

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I wish I raced as much as you guys did. The northwest mx nationals is gonna be around my area this spring, so Hopefully I will be racing a lot of that.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
150rguy said:
I wish I raced as much as you guys did. .
i have only raced twice in my life i just happen to live 5 miles from track and 10 miles from 6000 acre orv park
tons of tracks around here just a side benefit of living in florida
offsets all the other bad things about this state

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
sparkysakitas said:
i have only raced twice in my life i just happen to live 5 miles from track and 10 miles from 6000 acre orv park
tons of tracks around here just a side benefit of living in florida
offsets all the other bad things about this state
Okay, then I wish I raced as much as steves son did.

244racer

Mar 20, 2007
I live in NJ and all around my house is sand and i love the sand all you do is pin it and if you get good you can make up alot of time in sand becuase not to many ppl like it. it is very technical...

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
sparky
if tis where i think it is, croom is only like and hour and a half drive from me... but ive never been there... how much to get in, and when is a good weekend to go, it sounds like this place could get very crouded... im not the most experienced rider... i dont want to get in everyones way.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
killer its 11/2 hours from kings highway in punta gorda
i dont know how far into englewood you are?
its right off of st road 50 in brooksville(exit 301 i think)
you get a yearly sticker for 50$ and any weekend is good time to ride
they have big sand pit up front that can get crowded
but like i said before you have miles of trails to putt around on
if your thinking of coming up let me know ill go up and show you around plus it always nice to ride with other people

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
most deffinetly, it wont be for a couple weeks but ill deffinetly be there... i have a paintball tourny this weekend and i have to pick up my bro from miami next weekend..... sounds awesome... the guy i bought my bike from used to go up there, theirs a croom sticker on it from like 98...

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
Had a friend "show me how to ride" in sand today. Man I had a blast.
I ended up feeling more relaxed riding than I ever have before. Strange, because sand was the one terrain that scared me the most. It's got a flow to it like snowboarding or surfing. I did some of my most confident, aggressive riding to date today on sand.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom