thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
My first race was in the desert with many sand washes, just so happened to be the first time ever riding in the desert as well. You have no idea what a shock that was to me...

I have the hardest time riding in sand with my KDX, partly due to one of the worst front tires I have ever had (cheng shin) and improper suspension. I've ridden some friends bikes in deep sand and it's night and day difference.

I wish my parents got me a bike when I was the age of your son, I'm not complaining though. I'm incredibly happy that I got a bike at all and I'm enjoying every minute!

Congrats to your son for his win and many more to come!

hbrown

Registered
Mar 15, 2007
yea riding in big sand bowls is wicked! had a few bails though and it can hurt you real bad if your not careful.. i know a few people that have been seriously hurt riding in the sand.. so care must be taken as always :-)
check out some of my pics on my website and the photo gallery of some sand sessions in n.z.. awesome fun!! (click on hbrown in the top left corner)

Last edited:

Meatieboi

Apr 13, 2007
Does anybody know how to go up sand hills? I tryed a couple of times and they are not my friends. Do i have to get a fast start? Go in a certain gear? Please help.

fit04

Apr 9, 2007
I hate riding in sand...pretty much I have to wheelie through it to get any where or my front wheel just slips around...very annoying. It guzzles my gas more but when I fall..its soft haha. I love riding in the woods and getting good traction.

Does anybody know how to go up sand hills? I tryed a couple of times and they are not my friends. Do i have to get a fast start? Go in a certain gear? Please help.

Yes you have to get a fast start to go up it and dont lay off the throttle. Usually what I do is get up the speed by being in second or third and then shift down to continue the power and not bog down.

Racerboy

Apr 14, 2007
Where I live sand is all we got, my dad has given up on riding bikes in it. Hes gettin a quad. I have ridden a ton on it and have gotten pretty decent at it, so I do and dont like it. Building jumps in the sand is horrible, they fall right apart. And it ruts up so fast, so that part I hate but when theres no ruts just blasting out of a corner on my 250 throwing a 20 foot roost is pretty cool! :D

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Racerboy said:
Building jumps in the sand is horrible, they fall right apart.
Old carpet over the jump. Trust me, it works!

I like sand, mostly because other people hate it. Very sandy trails where I grew up in Michigan, so I got decent at riding in it.

People laughed when I came out here and too my KDX for my first trip ever to the dunes. Never had problem, went everywhere the quads, rails, and other bikes went. I even took my 99 KX125 out with no paddle to prove that it could be done. I don't think it liked hauling around 180+ lbs, but it did it, even through the biggest of bowls and hills (momentum is key!).

In rutted up sand I like to stand and let the bike float around under me.

On sandy trails or in washes I usually stand and grip the bike with my knees a bit.

On smooth sand like in the dunes, just sit down and surf.

:ride:

robertmoto10

Dec 27, 2009
wow

SteveinSpringHill said:
I can tell you it's not my son's favorite place to ride. But for me if he's going to push corner speed or just push himself in general I'd rather have him go down in this stuff. This is a friends private track we usually have to ourselves because not many like riding here.

I can also tell you he's improved way faster than most other kids who started riding at the same time.

In sand your mistakes are magnified whether it be body position or throttle and clutch control. Here's some photo's from yesterday down here in West central Fl.
DSC01686.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

Later...
wow that track look so awsome to bad its private

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom