Who runs high octane. Is it leaded or unleaded

Hi i have a 97 cr250 and i know its much better to run high octane gas. In the manual it says to run unleaded but around where i live its very hard to get unleaded high octane gas. Im curious what octane you guys are running and if its leaded or unleaded. I know in a car it will ruin the o2 sensors and cat, but this does not have either.

if your bike is totally stock premium is fine, is the bike modified in any way as far as cylinder porting or a decked head. what type of riding do you do? glad to help more info please.

RM_guy

Moderator /
Damn Yankees
All pump gas is unleaded so I'm not sure how high of octane you are looking for. Like Hot-mod says, premium (92-93 octane) is fine for a stock bike although you may be able to run a lower rating if you are not getting any detonation.

I do mostly trail and hill climbing. Out here is CA premium is 91 and nothing higher. As far as detonation i dont think its a huge problem. I was thinking of mixing a gallon of high octane with premium to bring it up to 93-94 octane but can the bike handle unleaded gas. One gallon of 104 leaded with four gallons of 91 premium. I know the manual says 92 octane minimum. Right now i have standard add ons but no engine work.

tony91

Subscriber
If your looking for improved performance from your fuel, there's a lot more to it than octane. Do a search on race gas and start reading. Here's a thread to get you started.

In the mean time, get your hands on some VP C-12 , get your jetting dialed, and you'll be hooked... promise.

I run leaded race gas in my bike...like Tony said I'm hooked. Great throttle response and no pinging.

If you're in the bay area, Infineon Raceway has some pretty high octane fuels at the pump out there. Many motorcycle shops in the area sell 5 gallon cans of all sorts of leaded, unleaded, and oxygenated race fuels.

Most of us run unleaded fuels. Running leaded fuel in your bike wont hurt anything. Any change in fuel may require a change in jetting.