MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Well ive ridden like 5 or so times on my new springs and getting the fork and shock serviced. Today I go to a motocross track I have never rode on before and see some 15-20 foot easy doubles. I am like ok, 2nd gear I go over in second gear and I case it but the suspension sokes up the landing abnormaly well. Then I go over in 3rd gear pinned. I land in the SAME spot. I did this a few times and every time I cased this little double in 3rd gear pinned! I was watching other bikes do it NO problem. Even trail quads and bikes were doing them well. It was like my suspension wasnt working or something. It soaking up small stuff REALLY good. Do I just need to mess with my compression and rebound settings? Im affraid to go out and jump now because my bike well...wont jump! thanks guys

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Hey MoO, is that the double just after the big double? All the jumps at Haspin, dont have lips on the jump so you can get over them. I have the same problam! All those quads roll over the jumps ruining the jumps! Thats why I only trail ride at Haspin. Get use to it!:p Its not your suspension

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
Did you replace your springs or just have them serviced? If replaced, did you go stiffer or softer?
I'm not sure, but I have been told that soft front forks "soak up" steep short jumps..especially small to medium ones. If your too soft up front and compressing easily, it dosen't kick the front up(and/or the rear tire down to hook up) This would also explain why its worse at high speeds.

Get a second opinion, but I would make small adjustments(one click at a time) going toward hard on the front forks and see if it helps.

Tracktor

Apr 12, 2001
It probably has more to do with body position than suspension settings. When you are first learning to jump stuff you are nervous, you are expecting to come up short and stiffening up. When you stiffen you don't allow the bike to float underneath you and that kills lift. Speed doesn't always solve the problem and can sometimes make it worse. Try staying centered on the bike, hold on firmly as you can with your ankles this will keep you anchored on the bike. Picture yourself clearing the jump as you approach and overclear if you can safely. Being relaxed will help you immensely when jumping. Your suspension may not be set up perfectly but this should not stop you from clearing small jumps.

Giles

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
My position is fine. Its worked find for the last 5 times I have taken it to the track with the new springs. It is alot softer. Also when your body is stiff you get more lift and distance im pretty sure.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If your springs are softer they will make the suspension rebound slower(less stored energy) so you should lighten rebound damping a few clicks on both ends.This will help jumping.Top experts tend to run the minimum of rebound damping they can get away with.Slower rider tends to like lots of rebound damping to give them confidance on landings etc.If you hit a number of bumps in series does the suspension get harsher towards the end of the bumps-if so it is an indicator you have too much rebound damping.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Ya, It seems if I am going over really ruff ground it gets progresivly harsher. Thanks, I was getting a little scared there that the springs were to soft or something.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Sorry to bring this up from way back when but if I want to go softer on the rebound damping do I need to turn my clickers towards the harder setting on the suspension?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
If your springs are softer they will make the suspension rebound slower(less stored energy) so you should lighten rebound damping a few clicks on both ends
I was talking about this, Do I need to go turn the clickers in than? Thanks guys

sigar

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey

Moo,
Turn the clickers out(left). Are you maybe reading the word "lighten" as tighten in that quote. The righty tighty lefty loosey thing is good to remember if you think of less rebound dampening and less compression dampening as being loose and more as being tighter or stiffer. Hope that makes sense.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Something tells me Moo is gonna be one fine rider someday!

Top Bottom