"Winter Projects" Revisited: Retro YZ Kit.

B

biglou

Here we go!

Got a call from my bud this afternoon and he says-"Get that thing over here!" (The frame). So she's powdered! Already put the footpegs on before I shot this picture. Might have a rolling chassis by nightfall!

B

biglou

"Progress As Promised"

Just like it says on the road work signs in Missouri!
CAL, your enthusiasm is infectious!

Rolling chassis, easy as one:

B

biglou

Three: (Got some yellow on it already!)
What's hard to see is just how shiny the swingarm is and the brake master cylinder guard and the chain guide are. Trust me, at lest for the time being, they look like mirrors! When we get it all finished, we'll get some outside shots so the detail will show up. I may wheel it outside during the day Saturday to take some shots along the way. We are waiting for a stock capacity tank (Clarke sent the 3.2gal by mistake) before she will be totally buttoned up. That should be by the middle of next week. Stay tuned, kids!

Last edited by a moderator:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
LIKE I SAID A TRUE ARTIST!

Let the fun begin! :) I'm very impressed, with your attention to detail!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by Thunder 33
I am moist with anticipation.

A little talcum powder will help that.:scream:

Hey Lou, you work in a dungeon or something? Maybe Hunchback Harry can aim the torch over near the YZF so we can actually see it;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How's this?

Attachments

• frameandswingarm2.jpg
    frameandswingarm2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 132

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
And this Zio?;)

Attachments

• firstyellow2.jpg
    firstyellow2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 128
B

biglou

What the...?

How'd you get in my garage, Pat? :think Man, I gotta take that door remote away from the parents.:D

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
You never know where he will stick his head out from. ;)

Looks like my camera had a little bit better color and clarity. :)

Attachments

• pyellow.jpg
    pyellow.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 132

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Is that WCW rassler, Buff Bagwell peeking out from under my bike?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
OK, Mister That's the way it's gona' be huh? :debil:

(BigLou I just did a "save as" from the post to my drive then "brightened" the picture and pasted it back.)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by Thunder 33
Is that WCW rassler, Buff Bagwell peeking out from under my bike?
From this angle, it looks kinda like a young Jack Nicholson.

HEEEEEERE'S JOHNNY!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Can I schedule a time to bring my KX up? I mean it. That is an awesome job. I actually thought I had been doing a good job on my Gas Gas rebuild. But this demoralizes me. Definetly a contender for DRN's Outstanding Bike award.;)

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Nice job Lou.

What did you do to protect all the threaded holes? Did you take the steering head bearing races out, or just tape real well? Did you miss any and how much work was it to clean up if you did?

B

biglou

First thing I gotta say is...

...I can't believe no one picked up on my obscure "Easy Rider" Jack Nicholson reference!:mad:

As for the questions, I sandblasted the frame (that's a lot of work!), the subframe and the footpegs and had them all powder-coated a semi-flat black at work. That took a lot of sneaking so I prolly won't do that again. I also got all the parts polished at work. Again, too much dealing and sneaking around to think about trying it again with this large a number of parts. The sandblasting is no biggie, so that might be the way to go in the future if I can get ahold of some epoxy rattle-cans. I used dummy bolts in all of the threaded holes and used tape for the headset and oil dipstick which I pulled before the frame went into the oven. Plus, we have a real nice chemical bath prep process which makes sure that the frame is clean and ready for powder. The sandblasted finish provides just the right texture for the paint to bite in, too.

NOW-Here's what I did today. I missed two days of sunny and 60 degrees to work on this thing, but as you can see, it is a labor of love. This thing looks SWEET. All we lack now is the tank. Once it comes in, I'll get the graphics on it to match up with the shrouds, then we can upholster the seat to match the tank and that should do it other than fluids!
Here's three more pix:

Top Bottom