winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I went to the dealer today to get a new set of gas tank decals because the current ones are ripped up a little bit from the previous owner. They told me $26 per side! For the sake of cosmetics I would rather not spend $52. Anybody know of any cheaper places to get decals similar to the stock ones? The bike is a '96 XR 250. Thanks in advance. *Winter Rules*

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Just keep in mind that if you're concerned about tank decals looking good on an XR, you'll need to replace almost every other year. The XR decals go directly on the tank and some of the gas vapors seep through the tank and damage the decals. You'll get some yellow tint on lighter graphics and sometimes bubbles too.

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
That's pretty funny. I had wondered why there were bubbles popping up on my decals. This may be a dumb question, but would it help to put duct tape under it and trim the duct tape once the decals are on? Thanks for the help guys! *Winter Rules*

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I just checked out the web site and found graphics that I like (Factory Effex OEM Tank Graphic for a '98 XR 250). I see that they have lots of little holes in it, I assume to help stop the decal from bubbling up. So the question is: Do they work? Thanks again. *Winter Rules*

Draybob

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
A lot depends on how you prep the tank. I've seen posts on it before.

Seems that emptying all the gas out of your tank, cleaning it with something like denatured alcohol before applying the decal, then giving the decal plenty of time to really bond with the surface of the tank before refilling with fuel was the consensus on the best procedure for making the decals last.

I've got a 2001 XR 250 that's going to need it soon so I hope everyone was right 'cause that's what I'm planning to do.

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
I but a set of the tank decales with the holes on my 2000 xr250r and thay are still going strong. I always use a pressure washer and it peals all of my stickers off except my tank stickers. Once in a while a courner will stat to peal so i wall bust out some contact cement.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom