drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I looked at the 100 when I was buying the 80. Outgrew it before we could buy it. Personaly, I don't think there was enough power or suspension.

I wanted the TTR-125 when they came out because of the "cool" look. Boy I'm glad I didn't get that. More weight. Bigger price.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I'm 20, 5'5", and bought my XR200 a little over a year ago. I can sit on the seat and have both of my feet flat on the ground. So for somebody who's only an inch shorter than me, seat height shouldn't be a problem. The power is pretty decent, I find that if I keep it around 5-6th gear I can keep up with other people who are on bigger bikes. Good low end, too; especially with an FMF Power Core 4 spark arrestor (I couldn't believe it when I got mine, it really seemed to help the power a lot). The first bike I had ever ridden was an XR200, and it was the PERFECT beginner's bike. The only problem I could possibly think of is that I have been thinking about getting a new bike since the beginning of this past summer. I want more suspension and more motor. The CRF 150 would be a bad choice in my opinion because it's almost as heavy as the 200 but with less motor.

As far as a smaller MX bike goes, an 85-100 bike should probably do pretty well for starters, but the powerband might be a little difficult for a first time rider to get used to. But, everybody IS different. I am not a very daring person, so I prefer the 4 strokes to start off on.

Whatever happens, good luck! I hope he enjoys this sport as much as all the rest of us here!

Top Bottom