XR200 or XR100????

Hi everyone,

I am ready to buy my 15yo 5'4" son his first dirtbike and was wondering if any of you XR200 riders out there are about the same size as him? Will the seat height be too tall for him?

The XR100 fits him pretty good (pre shock break in) but am afraid it is a bit small for him or will be way to quickly.

I have a good line on a 2002 XR200 about the same $ as 2001 XR100 and was wondering what you think I should do?

I don't want to get too much bike for him and scare him off but I also don't want to buy him a bike he will be bored with in a couple of months.

I really appreciate any help you can give me,
Thanks!

Fryboy

this is a tough one.. referring to this, "I don't want to get too much bike for him and scare him off but I also don't want to buy him a bike he will be bored with in a couple of months. ", the xr100/200 will not be the bike of choice.. they are awesome for learning the basics of riding, but after a few weeks he will outgrow the power and suspension.. the only thing surefire about the xr line is that they will never break down and have a high resale value, so if you decide to get one and want to sell it a few months down the road - you wont lose much, if anything at all..

ps: it also depends on what type of riding he will be doing.. if he is into trails, the xr200 may be a good choice.. if he wants to race, stay away from the xr line

Originally posted by _j0kA_
this is a tough one.. referring to this, "I don't want to get too much bike for him and scare him off but I also don't want to buy him a bike he will be bored with in a couple of months. ", the xr100/200 will not be the bike of choice.. they are awesome for learning the basics of riding, but after a few weeks he will outgrow the power and suspension.. the only thing surefire about the xr line is that they will never break down and have a high resale value, so if you decide to get one and want to sell it a few months down the road - you wont lose much, if anything at all..

ps: it also depends on what type of riding he will be doing.. if he is into trails, the xr200 may be a good choice.. if he wants to race, stay away from the xr line

Thanks _jokA_ for your reply. I forgot to mention that we will be riding trails. This is a concern for me, as I don't want him being too short for the bike. I am not really concerned with the power difference as he can learn to ride in 1st and 2nd on either bike and put around without ripping his arms off. Man, what a tuff decision. Its not like I have a XR200 to go have him sit on either. I suppose I could just take him to go look at it and see but was hoping someone could save me a 75 mile round trip, for a maybe, if possible.

Fryboy

in short, i would definately buy the xr200 over the 100.. in my opinion it is a much better bike and your son will grow more into it, rather then completely out of it..

atc3434`

Subscriber
Yea, I'll second the XR 200. The 100 is too small, IMO, for somebody that size. The 200 is a SUPER friendly bike. Its got ok power, and its super smooth. They start pretty easy, and are awesome trail bikes. Being too short, well, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I was riding a KDX220 pretty soon into my riding career, and that bike was definitely too tall for me. You grow into it, and it teaches you better riding and balance anyways. But at 5'4" I think he'll actually fit the XR200 just about perfect. I would take the trip and having him sit it, to see how he feels. I'll be he likes it!

Thanks for you help everyone! I really appreciate the fast response. You rock! I am sooo on the fence. I know what I should buy but then I think about it being his first bike and all and it kinda makes me apprehensive. Ya know what I mean?

Fryboy

atc3434`

Subscriber
Yea, that first bike always leaves an impression. I started on the KDX220 for the most part... did just the very basics on the TTR. THe KDX was a really challenge to me. It was a little too tall, and heavy. It was hard for me to start (NO LAUGHING, I WAS SHORT!) But it proved to make a great learning tool for me. I was a little over my head, so it was either sink or swim. Now, being over your head might not work for everyone, but it makes me reach just a little beyond myself to be better. There ya go, some deep philosophy to ponder upon!

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the CRF-150.. Its right in the middle and one great trail bike.

What is his weight? I have ridden the XR 200 and my major gripe with it, is that for that price, I felt it was waay too underpowered and a bit heavy with bulky control, so make sure when he sits on it, he is comfortable with the size and weight of the bike. I would deffinetly also consider the CRF 150 since this is his first bike.

"I can't believe nobody has mentioned the CRF-150.. Its right in the middle and one great trail bike."

you forgot to mention that it weighs more then a 125..

shnalln

Subscriber
Young kids and dirtbikes are a catch 22. They learn really fast. I got my son an XR100 and he was grown out of it (power wise) in a couple of months. The XRs are great learning tools, I think that the most important thing is get the basics down first, then move on. You may want to look into a KDX 200 (if it fits him). I've people say pretty great things about them. They are easy to learn on, and when more power is needed, the mods are out there to support it. They too sound like pretty reliable bikes.

In June of 2002 I bought my 13 yo son an XR 200. At the time he was 5' 3" and mebbe 110 lbs. By last fall he stole my KDX so early this spring I bought him one of his own. Now he's 6'2" and 160 or so. I figure the XR200 will be a great bike for new riders and my grandkids so I'll keep it forever.

the 200 is to big and the 100 is to small my cousin has a 2003 xr100. hes far out grown it already. the bike doesnt have much in terms of power ans suspension. if i were you i would go straight to the 2 strokes that way he will be able to do all the stuff the pros aree doing. the kx100 would be good for him. plus 2 stokes are alot cooler that the smaller 4 strokes. just my opinion

your son is also in the main stage of growing. he is going to shoot up height wise. try buying used. it will save you a ton of money and when he needs a new bike you will be happy you didnt drop 3000 into a new bike he outgrows in a year or 2

Thank you everyone that replied. I agree with some of your suggestions especially regarding buying new versus old. This is why I am asking about the XR100 or 200. I personally haven't seen any CRF150's for sale in the paper. I would guess they are too new and people that own them aren't ready to sell yet.

I think now I am leaning towards buying the TTR125L as I think the suspension is a bit better than XR100. I had a lead on one but it sold during the phone call. I was TOO SLOW! DOOOHHHHHH!

Happy Trails!
Fryboy