frank5889

Dec 16, 2001
98 xr400. My kickstart was working fine although this bike never had much compression when kickstarting, but now, it seems like there is no compression when I attempt to kickstart. But if I run and jump start the bike, it seems to run good and the engine is not making any unusual noise. Not sure what to inspect. Could it be the valves, piston or something damaged in the kickstart unit? Any similar experience? How best to diagnose?

Thanks,
Frank

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I think I would definitely double check your decomp lever, and your valve adjustment. Otherwise, if it is hard to start, you might be too lean on the bottom. The '98+ bikes were much leaner from the factory than the '96,'97's. If you have made any airbox/exhaust mods, you are more than likely too lean. You have to lean out the pilot to get any decent throttle response on XR4's, but it makes them a bear to start cold. My friend has a '97, with stock jets (very rich and blubbery), but his starts like with only a couple kicks when cold. At the same time though, his '97 is darn near new. There are very little hours on the top end. Unlike my '96, of which I'm the 3rd owner. I think my compression is getting quite low also, making it harder to start. So, if you have some hours on your '98, maybe you just need a new top end?? Good luck.

slacker00

Sep 27, 2001
The kickstart system has an automatic compression release I believe. You might want to check that. If it runs fine otherwise I would rule out valves etc..

Lvz2ryd

Feb 12, 2005
frank 5885 guess what you are the proud owner of an XR, I will sat that becoming comfortable with a set of feeler guages is the only thing to keep in mind. the compression lever can become a bit frustrating but usually so minimal that if your valve are correct that there sould be little work to be solved by valve adjustment, did I mention that you own an xr and that valave adjustment the most important aspect to watch. Did I mention own a set of feeler gauges ( angle head ) if your really want to nail those darn things

cliwar

Jun 18, 2004
I too owned a '98 XR400 up until recently. Over time, cold starting became a big issue until it reached the point of being darn near impossible. Valve clearances and decompressor were fine, but like yours there did not seem to be much compression when kick starting. In the end, I stripped down the top end and did a leak test on the valves. Guess what? They leaked like a sieve. I had the head refurbished by Eric Gorr and got him to re-bore the cylinder and supply a new 11:1 Wiseco piston while he was at it. When I put it all back together, the bike was transformed. Not only was there plenty of compression to be felt on the kickstarter, it now started first or second kick everytime, hot or cold. Throttle response was also very much improved. My guess is your bike will be same.

Top Bottom