bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
I wanted to see if any of you have put pipes on your kids XR80. The cheapest I've found is the FMF Power Core 4 available for the XR80 in the next couple weeks. but available now for the XR100. Will this make a big difference without any other mods? I dont want to put too much into the XR80.

I guess the question is is the pipe worth the cost compared to improved performance. FMF is about $175 - up to $350 with a few other companies.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Is it a 2001 XR80, or an earlier one?

If it's earlier, then I'd look at Powroll www.powroll.com and Supertrapp (ask your local dealer to let you look at one in their Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky book) before you make a decision.

The disk style muffler (like the Supertrapp & Powroll systems) seems to work best on the small XR's.

If you have a 2001 XR80, then a pipe won't do as much good as on the earlier models because the stock pipe is better to begin with!

On an earlier model, expect about 8 - 15% increase in horsepower, depending on which pipe you buy. It'll be better throttle response and more top end.

BTW, the sound will be increased considerably from stock, but wouldn't be lound by big bike standards.

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
Thanx Dualsporter,

It is a 2001, and as I recall the powroll was up close to the $300 range. I dont want to turn this into a monster as he is still learning, but a little more bottom end would be nice I think.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
With the 2001 model, you might want to hold off. The stock exhaust is actually very good. When we did dyno tests, the stock exhaust worked best for overall power on a stock engine. Once we added a cam & piston, then a pipe change helped.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Hi Matt

My last experience was with a 2000 XR80 and the Procircuit pipe was a vast improvement. I think the standard pipe will probably produce the best lower to mid power, the others produce more top end. Beware of pipes with big head pipe diameters. They seem to kill the bottom end on the little Hondas. The Procircuit is about as big diameter as I think it should be. Note is good, not loud but nice. I personally dont like disc type systems. If you want a cheap alternative for power with big bottom and mid bore it to 95cc and keep everything else stock (needs jetting and two/three tooth less on rear sprocket though). A real sleeper and fun to ride.:)

Top Bottom