jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
how do you prepare for that first jump? is it just one of those things were you pretty much know you are going to crash b/c if your first time getting air or what? out at the track the other guys make it look so easy and smooth, jump after jump after jump. i know that comes with lots of practice but dang i cant bring myself to do that first jump.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Find a nice table top that doesn't have a really steep take off and just keep hitting it, a little faster each time. Don't rush it, keep a neutral body position and try to stay loose. "Going Big" is second nature to some, but they spent a LOT of time getting to that point.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Do like Okie says and take it slow. You're right, that first couple times takes some major nads, but once you've done it a couple times, then you know you can do it and that fear turns into confidence.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I started jumping out on the trails. They put these big bumps in to slow you down. They have no landing ramps so you don't have to worry about overshooting or coming up short. Just keep hitting it faster until you start to get uncomfortable. I went from rolling one of these jumps to clearing 30+ft in a day. If you go any further, it starts getting hairy because there is no landing ramp.

Jan 30, 2007
Well i didnt have a nice little table top, i had a homemade wooden single i made, with nothing but a hammer, nails and old wood. It broke, but i fixed it, that was my first jump, almost flew over the handle bars the first time i jumped it, it taught me alot about preloading, but dont do that.

Just find a nice table top jump, a small one, and just jump it, you might not clear it the first time, but just keep going faster till you can. (but try not coming up 5 feet short on a 70 or 80 foot table, that hurts, trust me, more like 55- or 60 though)

I dont know about your track but mine has a intermeiate track for poeple who arent that fast yet, if you have one of those go on it. Its really easy to jump, nothing to be scared about, but whatever you do dont like freak out and jump off or pin the throtal back or slam on the breaks, thats when you mess up, just be smooth with your actions in the air, and it will be easy. I thaught it was easyer jumping turning, i still think actually.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Okiewan said:
Find a nice table top that doesn't have a really steep take off and just keep hitting it, a little faster each time. Don't rush it, keep a neutral body position and try to stay loose. "Going Big" is second nature to some, but they spent a LOT of time getting to that point.

:nod:

sidewayz

Sep 6, 2006
i learned by my friend said pick someone and follow him and i did and it helped me learn the speed of the track and i was hitting all of the jumps on the track minus a triple and our big double

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
sidewayz said:
i learned by my friend said pick someone and follow him and i did and it helped me learn the speed of the track and i was hitting all of the jumps on the track minus a triple and our big double

That works.. As long as you are already very comfortable on the bike and in the air on smaller jumps.. That is how i started hitting the bigger doubles..

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
I'm not sure about the nads part, but just get out there and ride. Eventually you'll get bored and start pushing yourself. It's human nature. I ride trails where there's no tabletops and I just started jumping anything little dirt pile I could find. Small air is enough for me, but once you get some confidence over the little jumps, big jumps will be easier. Just take your time and be safe!!!! :ride:

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
yeah i guess it takes some time. I ride trails alot which small air is nothing but its when it come to the doubles and stuff like that. I guess i need to get brave and give it a shot.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
jtm994, if you get the chance, go up to Durhamtown Plantation and ride. They have several tracks of different difficulty and they are all built with very safe landings.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
jtm994, if you get the chance, go up to Durhamtown Plantation and ride. They have several tracks of different difficulty and they are all built with very safe landings.
I have heard about that place and alot of people have told me the same thing. When i get a chance i am gonna make my way up there.

occupant

Aug 14, 2006
Having gotten back into this stuff after many years away, I have basically had to start all over again. My suggestion would be to hit the jump face with your weight on the pegs, dont lean on or pull on the bars. Stay balanced on the pegs as if you could let go of the bars and stand there. Keep your knees pressed in on the bike( so you stay with the bike in the air ) and slowly increase your speed and distance as your confidence and ability increase.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
jtm994 said:
yeah i guess it takes some time. I ride trails alot which small air is nothing but its when it come to the doubles and stuff like that. I guess i need to get brave and give it a shot.

my first jump i did was on a field, about a 3 ft. tall single. i didnt really get nervous, i just did it. on your first couple of jumps, dont try to launch yourself, instead, take is easy and try rolling it to see how far out the landing is( if any) and just get comfortable going up the face of the jump.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Okie's got the right idea... this will get you comfortable with leaving the ground and landing. It's much different when you take out the middle of the table and start seeing the inside face of the of hill #2. I might suggest you practice casing... pick a low speed double 20-30' with rolled landing and progressively land closer to the face of hill #2 until you actually case it. You will learn two things, one and perhaps the most important is that casing won't break you, the other being you will know how to position the bike so as its suspension takes the hit. Bike position is critical and you need to be the one in charge. Once the fear of casing is somewhat removed then simply do it... It's all commitment, when you decide to pull the trigger go... don't hesitate, go... any hesitation (second thoughts) and you'll burn... which won't be a big deal as you'll know what to do when coming up short. Good luck and grip the tank/shrouds with your thighs, stay on the seat and don't bail. Get the 20'-30' doubles down and the 40's and 70' triples become easy.
Good luck and commit...

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i dont think this is the way to do it but the first time i got on a track i just kind of rolled over the track the first couple of laps then on my third lap when i got to the straight w/ a tabletop i hit the gas and apparently not enough because my back tire cased the top and sent me over the handle bars more embarrased than hurt tho

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Whatever you do don't look at kids about 12 years old jumping 50+ foot tripples and say "hey if they can do it I can". It hurts.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
One very important note that wasn't mentioned, upon your approach to the jump face you've got to keep a steady throttle all the way off the peak, if you don't and say you let off right at the peak, your back end is going to come up as your nose dives thus resulting in a bad experience, usually an endo. If you gun the throttle at the peak their is a chance the back end will shoot out from under you. Start with say 2 foot kickers, those are the pesky ones that will throw you, a pop of the throttle right at the bottom of these will keep you right.

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
start off with small jumps, just little bumbs or what have you anywhere. get yourself used to jumping before you go after somehting like a double. even if you are just jumping a few feet in the air that will get you used to it. table tops are great to start on because you can jump as high and far as you want and as you slowly get better slowly increase the distance you jump. i remember the first double i did. I wouldnt suggest trying something unless you are confident you can do it. You will always have a bit of fear your first time. like when you are about to go on a rollercoaster or something though.

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
just_a_rider said:
One very important note that wasn't mentioned, upon your approach to the jump face you've got to keep a steady throttle all the way off the peak, if you don't and say you let off right at the peak, your back end is going to come up as your nose dives thus resulting in a bad experience, usually an endo. If you gun the throttle at the peak their is a chance the back end will shoot out from under you. Start with say 2 foot kickers, those are the pesky ones that will throw you, a pop of the throttle right at the bottom of these will keep you right.

yeah the small jumps are when you have to blip it right before the jump. the big jumps are the ones you just gas it on.

Top Bottom