vintxrgr

Jul 31, 2006
hi i just got my 1st bike a yz250 and was wondering, im 5 10 139 LB and when i go in to 1st gear even when im barly gasing it and i did a wheelie witch scared you know what out of me. after i changed my pants
i got it in 1st and after i rode it a bit it died cause i did not give it any gas. i know this sounds stupid but the bike is rly rly big and kinda scary since all iv got to ride is 125s is there any easy way i can tone it down till im used to it.
once again sorry for the wussy question i just figured some 1 here might under stand

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
A cheap way to get used to the power is to get a counter spocket (the small one)that is one tooth larger, and put that on. You will have to re-adjust your chain, of course, but by making the gearing taller, it will tame down the hit a bit. Easier to stall, but harder to loop out.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
are you riding on pavement? if so, stop.

you can sit way up on the tank, or just take it easier on the throttle. you'll get it with practice. if you're wheelie-ing when you start off, you can try starting in 2nd.

Apr 2, 2005
Hey congrats on making a yz 250 your first bike. Welcome to the club, did that a few months ago!. maybe its your clutch workor clutch cable?

Try a flywheel weight.As I understand it, they smooth out the powerband (more rotating weight, longer to rev up and rev down (laws of inertia I believe))

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you want to spend money, buy a flywheel weight or new sprocket.. If you don't want to spend money, sit up on the tank.

I put my big fat a$$ as far up as I can get it. Granted I am heavier than you, and riding a much smaller bike, but it will loop out if I am not careful.

And one of the most important things to know, be ready for that power hit. If you aren't expecting it, it will toss you. If you know when it's coming and are prepared for it, you are more likely to adjust so that you don't go sampling the soil.

yzwoods

Aug 2, 2006
A flywheel weight is the best way to Smooth out a yz. A 10oz would do it. And it costs about 110$ to install. And reversable. But first i would make shure that your cluch is adj properly as well as your thottle responce. If you have your manual you can do both in a matter of min. And then practice sitting up on the tank and letting out your clutch slow and smooth. At 139lb A YZ 250 can be alot to handle. So a fly weight may not be a bad idea. But i would try the latter first. Good luck.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
vintxrgr said:
hi i just got my 1st bike a yz250 and was wondering, im 5 10 139 LB and when i go in to 1st gear even when im barly gasing it and i did a wheelie witch scared you know what out of me. after i changed my pants
i got it in 1st and after i rode it a bit it died cause i did not give it any gas. i know this sounds stupid but the bike is rly rly big and kinda scary since all iv got to ride is 125s is there any easy way i can tone it down till im used to it.
once again sorry for the wussy question i just figured some 1 here might under stand

By first bike; do you mean first one ever and you are trying to learn on it? What year YZ is it?

If so, you have your work cut out. Besides learning the basics of clutch/throttle/shifting you will need to be learning how to control it (which you are correct can very very intimidating).

When my son had his TT-R125 he could basically just nail the throttle wide open most of the time. When he got his YZ85 he found out doing that on the YZ wasn't a good idea.

What kind of 125's do you have access to? If YZ125 or similar the 250 shouldn't be that big a jump. If similar to the TTR then its a big difference and you just need to control how much/quick throttle you give it compared to those type bikes.

If your yard is big enough just go out and practice starting from a stop until you are comfortable with it before you go out and try to ride it on a track or trail.

Gearing up as suggested will help but if you are learning on it a YZ250 will be difficult; but if you take it slowly and work at it you should be fine.

vintxrgr

Jul 31, 2006
yes 1st one ever of my own im going to go out and ride it in a few ill try siting on the gas tank i may just need to get over the fact that when i go in to 1st its gunna pop up a lil

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
vintxrgr said:
yes 1st one ever of my own im going to go out and ride it in a few ill try siting on the gas tank i may just need to get over the fact that when i go in to 1st its gunna pop up a lil

It shouldn't (unless you want it to). Sounds like you are doing what my son originally did. When letting the clutch out; once it started to engage he was letting it the rest of the way out vs smoothly letting it engage (without realizing it). On his TT-R it was a lurch (often followed by a stall). On the YZ likely a wheelie.

Again, practice some starts from a dead stop and concentrate on not letting the clutch out too quick where the bike lurches (or wheelies).

YZ250Anthony

Jun 21, 2006
wrap your self in lots of bubble wrap and let her rip , just kidding :-P your gonna need something small to practice on first and 2 strokes dont like to go slow or they flood.

mxwannabe

May 11, 2005
Hey man I had the same problem as you. Im 5.8 and 135lbs one I first got my yz250 It scared the **** out of me, also my first bike, but as long as you realize the power it has and you take it easy you can easily handle it. Ive had it for about three months and i absolutely love it :cool: they are awesome bikes. Just respect the power and take it slow soon you will be used to it.

vintxrgr

Jul 31, 2006
hey iv been rideing till my gas ran out and what im doing is letting it out to the point where im moveing a lil then getin on the gas tank and slowing letting it out. once i got it running i got it turning ok but right when the gas went out i was turning realy good useing my foot in turns im going out to a florence track cause i heard it was more of a car raceing track with no jumps

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom