bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
YEAH RIGHT! :laugh: :laugh:

super rat said:
I think it would be cool to see Alessi spend a year or two racing the GP's. He is right ,he would clean house over there.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
easy to watch a rider and say i would spank him, i watched our open class champion recently, he looked slow and i think i would keep up, last time we raced together he lapped me, i havnt been lapped (when i have stayed) on since 1992.Alessi is nothing until he wins or at least poduims a few nationals IMO.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I never said I could win a GP but I'll bet Alessi could win a enough to be called "World Champ" in his first year. It would be a good way for him to get his feet wet and get ready for the big leagues, the 125 nationals.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wasn't Tortelli a world champ twice?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yes and hes a very fast rider, his downfall like most world champs is the sx series. The gps pay very little, the gp riders would love to got to the US where they could earn 10 times what they are being paid now, but no one will employ them as they cant do sx well.So they just carry on. However we digress again, the point is allessi brags about stuff when he has no results, we have heard about these prodigys before and only bubba has really backed it up with results, look at the others, windham, pasty, bradshaw, all amazing riders who had very few titles between them. Lets see if Allessi is different, one thing is, if it wa sme i wouldnt want to come into the ama's while bubba and rc are so dominant.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
easy to watch a rider and say i would spank him

I take it the point of that statement is that you're not only convinced that Everts, Pichon and Smets could beat Alessi, but....wait. You've never even SEEN Alessi ride, have you?

The simple answer to Brownie's issue is he probably never was a great GP rider (high speed flat track). Hence he did better here than there. Why....just in the same way that the Euro's can't ride SX 'well'?

However, I do seem to remember that JMB guy. He didn't have any problem riding SX. So I guess we can throw that excuse out the door. Particularly since there's the Bercy and 3 World SX GP races there. ;)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Nope not seen alessi ride, maybe he rides faster than the wind? not really the point im making however, the point is to show repsect to established riders who not only have great speed, but also are consistant enough to win titles, the other point is its hard to judge speed from the side of a track-you need to get in and battle to prove you are faster, dont talk the talk, just walk the walk.

So far Alessi has beaten Hughes who did not do so good at gps(5th at the end of the year?), so he has beaten no one who i consider a great rider.

We should place bets on where he will finish his first national.

Just a few comments on your statements, its a bit of a myth the gps are all high speed freeways, they have massive whooped out tracks that are tough like southwhick, they have slow technical tracks and real nasty tracks all the riders hate, its like saying all national tracks are outdoor sx tracks, brown did plenty good but Langston was a little better that year.Then him and brown came to the states to do the 125s and came 1 and 2 -like i keep saying the speed at the top level is the same really, with IMO bubba and RC a level above all the others-including Alessi.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
About Tortelli.. I wasn't referring to SX, he's not been able to put together a good (as good as he should) National Series since he's been here. Riding over his head maybe trying to keep pace? Don't get me wrong, Tortelli is one of my favorites and probably the best ambassador from the GP's in years. I recall AJ's little boy calling his hero "Bashin Telly", I don't think there was any pun intended on the "Bashin" part either.

I'd have to guess that when a GP rider comes over here there is a lot more to get used to than just the tracks, life style, food, etc). Same with the American's going that way.

Anyway, I guess what Marcus is saying is that the US guys (guys that race here) are more well rounded racers :)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
True okie-i think hes finished 2nd in the outdoors early on? Again however if he could only ride outdoors and not sx i believe he could have won outdoors, all those crashes and injuries must have sapped his confidance?? look at last sx season he was setting fastest times and was 3rd in the points? then he came up short and that was that.

Actually one of tortellis biggest problems was his starts, he was alaways coming from way behind and would crash.No one can let RC get a decent start and expect to catch and pass him-hes just too strong.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
We should place bets on where he will finish his first national.

Oh man, you're ruining my already bad rep by throwing that challenge this way (ie, assuming I'm behind the kid). Truth is, I have mixed feelings about him. Can't stand him, but the blame goes to the father. Both of those kids are little jackasses. Somebody ought to throw that father to Social Services and put the kids elsewhere. I can see his office full of books on how to develop a champion at all costs. The little 'Full Metal Jacket' syndrome.

Bottom line is there's no way in hell of knowing how he will do. My guess would be top 7 or so. Overall, it'll be a combination of his capabilities and more importantly, the fact that he will have lived at the track for 3 months before the race...knowing all lines, best lines etc. Let's hope they pull a quick one and destroy the track the week before the race and spend the remainder of the week rebuilding it with a different layout. I could see Tony out there jumping up and down redfaced, commandeering the tractors, etc. Okay, a little over the top. ;)

So no, Marcus--I like Everts a hell of a lot better (based on things I've read; have not seen him ride) than jackass. But I feel kind of sorry for him, destroyed by the vicarious father. Sick. As a result of that, he's the worst possible ambassador for our country than's been in a long time. I just hope he doesn't go oversees and embarass us with the "We're the best. We shouldn't have any problems stomping Belgium into the dirt. Nobody can beat me." :rollseyes:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
What I hear Marcus saying is the Alessi has a lot of gas leaving his face without a lot to back it up...I agree. The entire GP vs. USA-AMA is another subject entirely. There has been successful cross overs both ways. Albee, JMB, Langston, the many MX de Nations wins by the USA teams, Brad Lackey, and bunches of other in individual races. Basic riding is at par ....sways from one side of the ocean to the other over the years.

The point about dollars attracting the top riders hear is a valid point. Don't see the other direction pull from here unless there is better opportunity for exposure. That must mean if Alessi is even concidering a GP ride....he knows. He knows he's not going to be the big star here. Stewart and RC basically will drown him out...problem is as Marcus has pointed out watching from the side lines is different than slugging it out on the same track on the same day. There are some hot new talents just begining their GP career over there too and they won't be too pleased to see Alessi try to make a big bang (more like a pop) at their expense. Alessi needs to stick it out here and earn our respect the right way...the way James Stewart did.

AND the point that both Stewart and RC are probably the two best riders ever....well I don't think Alessi's (collective family) ego can handle that. He will probably concider a GP ride until the 125's eject Stewart and a couple of others and he does have a chance to be yet another Pastrana...just with a smaller body and a bigger mouth, a WHOLE lot less national wins & podium finishes and ONE less National title in the big leagues. When he performs I will change my opinion.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I've had the misfortune of pitting right next to the Alessi's at Perris raceway on a practice day. One of the the Alessi kids (the younger one, I think) was recovering from a broken leg (you could easily tell from the pronounced limp the kid had). He was riding anyway.

Senior Alessi kept berating the kid, something to effect of "Aw, come on, quit being such a wimp, it ain't that bad." The epitome of a Mini Dad.

Whatever works, I guess. :laugh:

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I wonder if that limp was a result of the crash he had at last years U.S. open in Vegas?
There is no doubt the kid has worlds of talent, but why you would want to put that much pressure on your kids shoulders make no sense to me.
I wonder if this guy is one of these "living his own failed dreams through his kids" type individual?
I don't want to condemn the guy, because I don't know him, but he sure seems to be willing to shoot of his mouth, and let his kids try and back it up..:(
The AMA may well have to muzzle this guy before all hell breaks loose. IMHO

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im not positive but i dont think the aleessi bros or even rc can just go and race a gp, they have very tight rules about it, you have to register with a country , then ride the home championship -im not sure why but it looks like you cant ride and be based in the US-brown was part of a Uk team when he rode the gps, maybe its just that he was employed by a Uk team so thats why he was based here?

Anyone know of the fim rules on entering a gp?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I wonder if this guy is one of these "living his own failed dreams through his kids" type individual?
That IS a "mini dad".

I wonder about those rules too Marcus... the AMA did let Smets race at Southwick a few years ago? 7th overall if I recall. Seems they would let someone like RC or Stewart run a GP no matter what, would be great PR for the series, unless they came over and destroyed everyone.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think RC would win, but i dont think they would let him ride, as long as you qualify for the AMA anyone can get in? i think thats right? the fim have a different setup-not saying its better, just that its not the case of turn up and ride.

maybe thats a reason why RC wont ride a gp on a spare weekend, you have to commit to the series.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Teams have to be registered pre-season for the GP's with an alotment of riders. IIRC each team can have a "backup" rider in case their bigshot gets hurt. It doesn't look like you can just drop in and qualify to run the big show when you've got a free weekend to do so.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
It's the same to race an AMA race, you have to first do well enough in district races to qualify for an AMA pro racing license, and then those are pretty expensive. I may be wrong but I think that is how it goes.

1911shooter

Jun 27, 2004
Personally, I am sick of all of the talk about Alessi and Stewart. One is already named himself (or at least his father has) the future champion of every class, while the other is a poor sport dancing on the podium. I think what turns us off is this "look at me attitude" when so many of us were brought up "old school" with the philosophy of "walk softly and carry a big stick". While I have been away from MX for a long time, it seems like "back in the day" when it was O'Show, RJ, Bailey, Hanson, Glover, etc. it was a lot more enjoyable for the fans, and more competitive.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Here, here - hopefully there will be more equalizers out there like Roncada to provide the reality checks that seem to be vitally necessary to the sport these days.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Allessi's father will get served a healthy dose of humble pie soon..I've read where they believe they will take Millville or at the very least get 2nd...They shouldn't talk so much but just keep that philosophy in their own home because now if they fail they will have a huge target on them...A national level race with 40 hard charging pros is alot different than what they're used to...

I've seen Millsaps and Alessi in action a little over a year ago outdoors and neither impressed me as some amateurs have before..They were fast...yes, indeed they were...But I wasn't impressed by the speed I've seen before...

However...If they win, then Stewart will not be as feared as he is now...We need more RonRon...

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
If Alessi wins, it will be because of a 39 bike pile-up in the first corner.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Tony Alessi used to race motocross over 20 yrs. ago and never made much of himself. He truly is living out his fantasies through his boys. I knew Tonys mother back then and she was a very sweet woman. I wonder where she went wrong?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom