Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
bike build-ups

Patman mentioned the mega buck bike build -ups, there was one that I read the other day in a back issue of DR that was called "Average Joe" or something to that extent. In this article they took a stock YZF250 and dumped almost $4k in performance parts, accessories, and services into the bike! Articles like these need to go, what average person is willing to spend this kind of money on a bike build-up? :coocoo:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Lonewolf said:
Patman mentioned the mega buck bike build -ups, there was one that I read the other day in a back issue of DR that was called "Average Joe" or something to that extent. In this article they took a stock YZF250 and dumped almost $4k in performance parts, accessories, and services into the bike! Articles like these need to go, what average person is willing to spend this kind of money on a bike build-up? :coocoo:

That was one of the major issues that I brought up in my letter to KF.

I have most of my DirtBike and Dirt Rider magazines in boxes in my attic. Just to verify that these aftermarket articles had changed, I went an pulled a few older issues to see if I was just imagining things. What I found in a 1990 issue was an article that talked about a CR250. In the article all they did was swap out the stock pipe with a Pro-Circuit pipe silencer combo. That's it. Nothing else. Then they had Jeff Stanton ride it. The article was THREE pages long. That's right three pages talking about the effect that an aftermarket pipe and silencer had on a bone stock bike. Total cost of hop-up: Under $500 bucks!

If you delve back into the '80s you will see even better reporting on bike tests and product evals. In the 70s the editorial department did not take their marching orders from ad sales.

Ah, the good old days.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Lonewolf said:

That was one of the few issues of Dirt Rider that I purchased last year. While the idea was a novel one, their "average" concept indicated that this magazine was very much out of touch with reality.
I just went out and purchased the Feb issue. I haven't had time to see if it is any better than I remember. My mag of choice has always been MXA.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
nephron said:

Nope, it is motocross, and since I rarely trail ride, it has the most information useful to me. Maybe Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike should focus soley on offroad stuff and quit dabbling in the mx/sx arena. MXA does pretty good with their approach.Just a thought.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
IMO that MXA has been the tug boat pulling the rest of the dirt bike magazines towards the reef. $15,000 minis, bagging on anybody or thing that is not in their inner circle of approved (i.e. buying ad space) circle. Jody is a joke and Timmy is joke junior in trainning (might as well learn from the biggest joke), Roland is just a twit. If anything Ken Faught can say that he didn't plow DR into the stupendously murky depths that MXA rules over, but he did dabble with it.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Timr said:
Just to verify that these aftermarket articles had changed, I went an pulled a few older issues to see if I was just imagining things. What I found in a 1990 issue was an article that talked about a CR250. In the article all they did was swap out the stock pipe with a Pro-Circuit pipe silencer combo. That's it. Nothing else. Then they had Jeff Stanton ride it. The article was THREE pages long. That's right three pages talking about the effect that an aftermarket pipe and silencer had on a bone stock bike. Total cost of hop-up: Under $500 bucks!
Not to defend any of the mags, but back in '90, a pipe and silencer WAS the most expensive mod you could do to your bike. With the revival of interest in dirtbiking in the mid 90's, came the influx of all new high tech aftermarket.....well everything. And of course these companies send all these trick goodies to the mags for them to test and help sell them to the 'I wanna look like the pros' and 'i need something to make me fast without me working hard for it' people, with more money than good sence. Its just like any other market, its all about 'keepin up with the Jones's'
I do hope DR comes back down to earth with the rest of us tho, and writes something us 'normal' people can use. :yeehaw:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Geez I remember porting and Fox AirShox and DG swingarms being around long before the '90's ;)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bottled water and hats. Just re-watched the 250f's from last weekends SX. And there he was on the podium, with water and hats. :moon:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Maybe his new title is Water boy LOL!

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Patman said:
Maybe his new title is Water boy LOL!

I seen a movie once about a waterboy. Hmmm . . . . .

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Jon K. said:
I seen a movie once about a waterboy. Hmmm . . . . .
I was thinking that the similarities were remarkable :laugh: I wonder if Suzuki set him up with a riding mower to toat is H2Ohhhh.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
super rat said:
I can't believe this thread has gone 4 pages.
I can! Imagine growing up having your choice of anything on the menu at several resturants and it was all good. Then slowly the number of things in the menus got less and less until your only choice was to eat cold Spam and warm water or nothing at all at all of the resturants. One day a new chef comes in to one of these establishments and brings back some of your favorite foods along with a bunch of new things!

All hale Chef Jimmy! :worship:

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
Patman said:
I can! Imagine growing up having your choice of anything on the menu at several resturants and it was all good. Then slowly the number of things in the menus got less and less until your only choice was to eat cold Spam and warm water or nothing at all at all of the resturants. One day a new chef comes in to one of these establishments and brings back some of your favorite foods along with a bunch of new things!

All hale Chef Jimmy! :worship:
Amen brother,you the man.Oh how I miss the mags from the 70's and the bikes with no aftermarket goodies to lure my hard earned money away.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Ahhh . . . . The Norton Girls

And Gordon Jennings!

And Ed Hertfelder!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Jon K. said:
Ahhh . . . . The Norton Girls

And Gordon Jennings!

And Ed Hertfelder!

Hey I still get a monthly dose of Herfelder, of course you have to get it through Trail Rider, now there is a mag. Even mentions some of the people I know, like Hawkins, Hawk, Gravit , all the Laffertys, Reed, the one from LA, not AUS., etc. :cool:

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Hey Neph, I like MXA to. Iread anything I can get my hands on and still feel excited whenever any my suscriptions are in my mailbox. I think in the past year MXA realized how there past approach was hindering them going forward, but I still find there tech articles and bike reviews the most informative. I also love Racer X. any mag that takes a good 4-5 days to read is ok in my book. i really like the rebuild atricle is the new dirtrider's.

Erik

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
As usual, I'm late to the party....
I've never met Ken Faught, I'm sure he's a nice guy with great intentions....but that is not enough to run a show, is it?
Being in the publishing business myself, I'll say this...
There has to be more to journalism than fluff. Yes, fluff is a necessary byproduct at times, you can't avoid it. And fluff will help your bottom line, short term. But, to make fluff your main content shows lack of capability and committment to adhere to an editorial mission/vision. I wonder if they had either mission or vision under Faught, if he was even the guy calling the shots. Maybe he had a publisher that ran the show?
Glad to see the change, I hope the recent developments at DR are more than temporary, heck, I'll subscibe again....

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
I read all the magazines and I really don't have a specific favorite, but I like Transworld's sense of humor though. I have been getting really annoyed with all the magazines, especially with bike tests. How can they differ so much between one another? Also at times it seems like magazines will say something one month and contradict it the next month by saying the opposite.

Top Bottom