SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
The local dealership has recieved two of the new KTM 450's and I got to ride the demo New Years day.  Even though I ride a YZ450 I'll tell it like it was, even though it might hurt.

To start with, when I sat on it if felt smaller than my YZ.  I tried to start it using the old routine and had a hard time starting it, trust me I know the routine.  The hot start button is kind of hard to get to because it is inside the shroud and they have cut a hole in it so you have to get your fingers in there and pull the button (good thing I have skinny fingers).  After gettin it started I tore out of there and I noticed right off that it seemed to have a smoother power delivery and not only that, it had less of a vibration while delivering it.  I found it very easy to ride, it had great suspension, softer than what I have the YZ set up.  Through the corners I was faster on the KTM than My bike because the hit is not as abrupt as the YZ.  I still am not quite used to the YZ's explosive nature out of the corners and I have not learned how to control it yet.  The KTM seemed shorter than my bike for some reason, it might be; I don't know but I seemed to hit certain things on the track differently, I couldn't find the same timing I had with the YZ.  The KTM is a great bike, I really liked riding it, it was smooth, fast, light and easy to ride.  Throwing the auto decompression set up on it and putting the hot start on the bars would be a big bonus.  Nick ran out of gas before we even started back to the parking area, this may have been from all the hill climbing or due to the fact that everyone wanted to ride it.  The same was happening to me though, I spent more time on everyone elses bike than my own.

We all agreed that most of the new bikes you buy now days are really good bikes, and that no one bike is the perfect bike.  You have to have to take in account your riding style and prefferences you like about each bike and go for a decision.

For those of you who have to know........ Which was faster through the gears, (and a little beyond :scream: )  the 03 KTM, YZF, or the CRF, I decline to tell you so as not to hurt anyones feelings. :p    

Top Bottom