psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I have an '03 CR250 that is eating the clutch baskets and I am not sure why. I run an 8oz Stealthy flywheel weight and V-Force 2 reed cage. Other than an FMF Gnarly pipe the motor is stock. I replaced the stock basket last year because it was grooved with a Hinson. This basket has ~500-600 miles on it (one season of enduro with some play riding). Hopefully the picture will attach of what the Hinson looks like now. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do different? I have another basket to put in, but would like to fix the issue before eating another. Thanks for the help!!

CR250ClutchBasket001copy.jpg

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
The rubbers seem ok, but I did get a new set. Maybe they are worn out. Dunno.

And nope, no street riding. Just dirt with occasional fire road to get to the next trail.

Thanks for the replies so far!!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Are you on and off the gas a lot? Do you ride a lot of whoops? Anything that would cause the transmission to load and unload rapidly might accelerate wear of the clutch basket.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Check out the wiseco basket with the stainless covers(yes they are replaceable),how is the shaft and splines,hubs good,basket bearing,proper torque on basket,now honestly,are you a little demanding on the clutch every once in a while?600 miles,HOLY 2 SMOKES! How about it just fatigued and send it back to hinson,them removable pads should do the trick.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
When I put it all back together last time I used all the torque specs in the manual so I don't think anything was over/under. Also the rest of the drive components appear to be fine. Maybe I do expect too much... I don't know. No one else that I ride with seems to have to replace the basket that often. Anywho, I think the next basket I get will have the replaceable tabs on it.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Oh and as far as on/off the gas alot, I don't think so. And really don't ride too many whoops. Some, but not alot. Just the occasional sand whoops.

rerfurt

Jul 7, 2005
As whenfoxfork-rules said, return the thing to hinson - they advertise it as being durable, in this case IMHO not. I read somewhere of a guy who got a replacement basket in a similar case.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Check out the wiseco basket with the stainless covers(yes they are replaceable),how is the shaft and splines,hubs good,basket bearing,proper torque on basket,now honestly,are you a little demanding on the clutch every once in a while?600 miles,HOLY 2 SMOKES! How about it just fatigued and send it back to hinson,them removable pads should do the trick.

your confused with the barnett basket thats the one with the replacable inserts.......http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/off_road_clutch_baskets.aspx my guess is when you put in the hinson you did not replace the clutch itself right? because if your clutch is banging around enough to grove the basket then the tabs on the clutch friction plates are going to be worn also so when you put them in a new basket they just bag around and ruin your new basket in a hurry.........when you replace a basket because its groved be sure to put in a WHOLE new clutch or you will just wreck the new basket and i would get the barnett if they make it for your bike

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
When I installed the new basket I did put in new fibers and steel. I did reuse the pressure plate and the inner hub. Everything seemed snug when I installed it. So could it be that you need to run Hinson pressure plate and inner hub? Man I hope not.. That will get pricey.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
uhh if the springs were too eak that would allow large amounts of movement from the clutch and pressure plates and that movement of the plates hitting the basket is obvioulsy what happened.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The pricey part is the basket.Yes,you should have mated the whole hinson clutch for best results.I do believe the wiseco basket and hinson hubs would be a solid investment!If you are slipping and burning plates,go with 3 beefier springs and maybe a hydraulic clutch lever.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to replaced the basket, cusions and fibers/plates this weekend. Let you know if I find anything more when I am done.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
psycho said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to replaced the basket, cusions and fibers/plates this weekend. Let you know if I find anything more when I am done.

you need springs as well.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I don't know if you're still around, psycho, but I borrowed your picture for another post and noticed something while posting it. If you look carfully at the lowest point of each notch, you will see some discoloration of the metal. This discoloration may be caused by heat. Your friction plates may have been getting so hot that they melted the basket. This would be caused by excessive feathering of the clutch, insufficient clutch lever freeplay, weak clutch springs, worn frictions without grooves for cooling oil, or whatever else causes a clutch to slip.

CR250ClutchBasket001copy.jpg

Top Bottom