nazereth666

Oct 13, 2007
Ok it looks like the boot from the carb to the cylinder is split in two, that would explain the tape... anyone know where I can get a new one?

Olephart

Oct 23, 2007
nazereth666 said:
There is a tube running from back near the sprocket to the middle of the cylinder and another running from the bottom of the cylinder near the sprocket.

One or both of those tubes used to connect to the oil reservoir which was located behind the number plate on the right side of the bike. If it's not there, someone removed it. I'm betting that you could just run premix but it might be wise to seal off those tubes to prevent additional air leaning out your mixture.

Having said all that, I have a twin to your bike in a shed out back. Mine has probably been run 20 hours and was then drug along all over the world and stored while I was in the military. It still looks nearly new and only the foam on the air filter rotted away. I suspect with a thorough cleanup as suggested above, your bike will run like a bat. :) About 15 years ago, I cleaned mine, checked the carb and gas tank, fired it up and it ran perfectly. I was amazed by that and will probably repeat that drill next spring.

I'm curious what you paid for your bike and/or what such a bike is worth today. I know some folks do vintage moto with old bikes and I'm interested in selling mine. I'd just like to get an idea of what a fair price is.

nazereth666

Oct 13, 2007
Here is a picture I took yesterday, as you can see this bike has seen its days.
dirt19746.jpg

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
That is no 74 seat and tank!

The tank is absolutely from a '74 and the seat looks original, too. Besides the Supertrapp spark arrestor tacked onto the pipe, the bike looks in pretty good shape. For more TM250 brochures, check here http://www.suzukicycles.org/TM-series/TM250_brochures.shtml

From '76 to '79 I had Mark Blackwell's '73 TM250, and it was a fun bike. It had been converted to run pre-mix (oil injection tank removed), it had the bottom mount for the shocks moved forward on a reinforced swingarm for more travel, Boge shocks, Akront rims with heavy duty spokes, aftermarket pipe, and a custom aluminum small gas tank as well as the stock tank. Wish I still had it.

Attachments

• 1974_TM250L_brochure_450.jpg
    1974_TM250L_brochure_450.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

nazereth666

Oct 13, 2007
Yeah, I never really cared for the spark arrestor but it is there and I can't do much about it. I beleive every other part on the bike is original. It is missing body parts like the front number plate and rear number plates, but besides that they are all there.

Olephart

Oct 23, 2007
Yep, yours is a '74 and thanks to Dirt bike Dave's post, mine is a '73. I've got a Bassani spark arrestor on mine. :)

As you point out, the only things really missing are the # plates, kick starter and oil tank. Pretty cool.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
nazereth666 said:
The oil tank is there... I did an oil change on the bike a couple days ago lol.

I don't see the oil injection tank in the pics.

If you drained the gearbox (transmission) oil...that's not the oil tank.

The oil tank should be beside the airbox on the right side, if I remember correctly.

Rotor

nazereth666

Oct 13, 2007
Rotorranch said:
I don't see the oil injection tank in the pics.

If you drained the gearbox (transmission) oil...that's not the oil tank.

The oil tank should be beside the airbox on the right side, if I remember correctly.

Rotor
Hmm... ok... well... "theres your problem" OKAY so it runs premix now. Heh what do you suggest I do to reverse this mistake?

Olephart

Oct 23, 2007
nazereth666 said:
Hmm... ok... well... "theres your problem" OKAY so it runs premix now. Heh what do you suggest I do to reverse this mistake?

I'd just fill the gearbox with regular generic 10W-40 oil and run a decent 32:1 premix (Yamalube?) as suggested above.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but if there was no premix in the tank we're lucky the bike only ran for a couple of seconds. If you haven't done it already, I would carefully remove and clean the carb, do something about that leaking rubber boot, reassemble everything and lube all the cables before trying to fire it up again. I worry about things like air leaks leaning out the mixture too much and causing it to run crappy/not at all or, worse yet, seizing!!! :yikes:

If-- after cleaning and reassembling everything -- it still runs poorly I'd suspect the crank seals might need replacing as mentioned by Aqua above. That might mean shop time or doing it yourself with a decent manual. If you Google "manual suzuki TM250" you'll find the manuals.

I'm still optimistic and I'm betting that bike is going to "live." I'm rooting for ya, guy. :cool:

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
nazereth666 said:

The Suzi lubes the right side crank bearing with the injector. We would split the case, and drill a weep hole to the bearing in the bottom of the transfer in the case.

Since it appears that the rest of the injection system is there, I'd get an oil tank for it. :nod:

Rotor

BTW...we used Suzuki CCI oil in the injection system. It smelled cool. I currently use Yamaha lube in the injector systems.

nazereth666

Oct 13, 2007
I think I will run premix it isn't that big of a deal on my part. I just hope I havn't done untold damage to the motor with my mistake. makes me feel pretty stupid...

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
nazereth666 said:
I think I will run premix it isn't that big of a deal on my part. I just hope I havn't done untold damage to the motor with my mistake. makes me feel pretty stupid...

Did you read the first paragraph in my post above?

Here...I'll post it here to make it easy:
The Suzi lubes the right side crank bearing with the injector. We would split the case, and drill a weep hole to the bearing in the bottom of the transfer in the case.

There was a reason we did that. To lube the left side bearing, which was lubed by the injection pump!

I think maybe finding an oil tank on ePay would be easier than splitting the cases.

Rotor

mjydrafter

Sep 13, 2007
I have one I cleaned up off a ts125, if it'll work I'm sure we could work something out. It's identical to the one on my TC185. The sight glass is ok and I have the cap.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I think I will run premix it isn't that big of a deal on my part.

Please don't hurt that nice old bike by running it without any lube to the main bearings. Find an injection system tank and fix it right or sell the bike to someone who will. Also, before you just fill the new tank you buy with injector oil and ride off into the sunset, make sure that the system is bled and working properly.

Also, don't just "fill the gearbox" with generic 10W-40 motor oil as you or the next owner will then likely be replacing the clutch plates. Used the proper amount of a proper oil designed for the purpose. Visit a dealer and ask him for a recommendation.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Here, check these guys out:
http://www.vintage-suzuki.com/

Here's a photo of my less than perfect '75 TM400,
I got a shift lever, brake lever and some other stuff off e-bay.
New rear fender, number plate and tank decal from Vintage-Suzuki.
The side plates just happen to be off at the moment and you can see the 2 stroke oil reservoir under the seat. Notice the air filter housing is held together with duct tape just like yours:

100_2166a.JPG

BTW - These bikes sell on e-bay for around $1200 all the time.
I saw one go for $8700 a while back.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
OldTimer said:
BTW - These bikes sell on e-bay for around $1200 all the time.
I saw one go for $8700 a while back.

$8,700!! Are you sure that was a TM250, and not a factory race bike? I can't believe anyone would pay that much for a bike that was not rare.

nazereth666

Oct 13, 2007
BadgerMan said:
Please don't hurt that nice old bike by running it without any lube to the main bearings. Find an injection system tank and fix it right or sell the bike to someone who will. Also, before you just fill the new tank you buy with injector oil and ride off into the sunset, make sure that the system is bled and working properly.

Also, don't just "fill the gearbox" with generic 10W-40 motor oil as you or the next owner will then likely be replacing the clutch plates. Used the proper amount of a proper oil designed for the purpose. Visit a dealer and ask him for a recommendation.
I called up the previous owner I was told that the bike was converted to run premix, and was ran that way for 3 years. He said the bike runs fine and has been for 3 years without problems so I will run it premix till I can find a way to get it back to oil injecton.

Top Bottom