DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Hi all...This is my first post here, I found you as a result of a purchase I may be making. I found a really nice KDX 400 (1980) online for $1,000 bucks and am going to look at it this weekend. It looks and sounds like a great deal, but I'm looking for some honest opinions from you guys.

It has 3200 miles on it, and has apparently been babied. Here is a photo. Apparently it is just as clean on the other side too, and in great shape. I will be doing mainly single track, woods riding and non-paved fireroads.

Thanks!

Dave

http://cards.webshots.com/c31935628aadjqx

Here is the response from him if you are interested in his opinion:

Please note I have to stick to my
asking price of $1000 because I have at least twice
that much in it and it is in excellent shape. I
bought it from a very good friend
He was an excellent mechanic and took great care of
the KDX. It needed a clutch which I just finished installing
about 3 weeks ago. I've had the bike since November
2000 and I've only restored it since then. It hasn't
been offroad in over 2 years. Just pampered and
started every couple of weeks in my driveway. Other

Mods are:
Boost Bottle which you can actually view working
through clear tubing connecting it to the carb throat.
Boysen Reeds which give the powerband incredible
smoothness and POWER. I capitalize POWER because you
can never give it full-full throttle or the front end
will shoot straight up, (in all gears) but it's fun to
try. It is very controllable, though.

That's my only pic. The other side of the bike is just
as good. I DO have both side panels, extra rims, a
sand-paddle rear tire (not mounted yet), front and
rear slotted brake shoes and a NEW origial owners
manual in perfect shape, plus a copy of it to use in
the shop. I estimate the bike has a top speed of over
100mph and over 48-50 hp.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
That sounds like a pretty good deal, it looks like it is in really good shape. Try it out if you can, even if it is only a 1st/2nd gear try out, it will really tell you how good the condition is.

If it does run good, and looks like in the photo, I'd go for it...although I'd try to talk him down to 850, it is 22 years old. :)

Wharf Rat

Spammer
Jun 27, 2002
Well, well, well.....

I leave the Jeep boards to enjoy some time away from you and your kind and you follow me here ;)

Anyway, you know that it LOOKS awesome. Let's see how it rides when you can.

I can't wait to check this thing out in person. I know you have had bikes before and know what to look for when you/we go.

Anyone know how much of a problem parts (OEM at least) are going to be with this bad boy?

I think for our high-priced area of the world (where I routinely see 15+% tacked on to the prices of things like bikes that those from the mid-west, etc. talk about) that it is a STEAL if it runs as good as it looks and has been well maintained. I think we could get him to budge just a little on the price, too....

Rock On and Rock Steady...

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
To old & too much! old bikes are that OLD! with kind of money you should be able to into a 95 or 96! that's clean.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Looks nice, but I'd have to say too much too. I would imagine that the suspension on that bike wouldn't compare to that of a bike 10 years newer. For $1000 or just a few hundred more, you should be able to find several examples of more modern bikes that will be better riding and easier to get parts for.

Wharf Rat

Spammer
Jun 27, 2002
Originally posted by 70 marlin
To old & too much! old bikes are that OLD! with kind of money you should be able to into a 95 or 96! that's clean.

Around here you are lucky if you can find a clean 1990+ for less than 2 grand.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
linsub and 70Marlin are spot on! Mods and maitenance don't count in the price. I paid book for my '89 at $655.00 plus shipping. I'd tell the guy sorry, no thanks. My offer would be in the $450.00 range.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by Wharf Rat

Around here you are lucky if you can find a clean 1990+ for less than 2 grand.
Don't buy it around there then. :think:

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
Do not buy it! Unless you are collecting vintage motorcycles. Look on the internet. Thats how I found mine. Mine was in great shape and 13 years newer. I talked the guy down from $1550 to $1400. I borrowed a truck, took a little trip and came back with my first KDX. Here is a good link. You can search newspaper classified ads from east to west coast.
http://www.adquest3d.com/adquest20/search.asp?BRD=2185&PAG=1
just used the motorcycle sub-catagory. Place you city and state. For a keyword just put KDX and then pick the amount of mils you can travel to get it. A 15 year newer bike would be worth a weekend drive I think.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
DIRT BIKE: 2001 Kawasaki KDX220, 2- stroke, like new $3300/obo. 410-479-4711
Star Democrat

1991 Kawasaki KDX 250 2 stroke, very fast, many new parts. $1500. Breck. Call 303-918-2489 or 970-547-2939.
Vail Daily News

1991 Kawasaki KDX 250 2 stroke, very fast, many new parts. $1500. Breck. Call 303-918-2489 or 970-547-2939.
Summit Daily News

KAWASAKI, KDX 250, 1994: Like new shape, $1375/best offer. Call 860-828-6162. STAR2
The Herald

KAWASAKI '01. KDX-200, like new, never raced, 123 miles, $3200. '99 HONDA XR100, owned by 10 yr. old girl, ridden very little, like new cond. $1500 869-7792 LM.
High Point Enterprise

KAWASAKI 2001 KX60 $2100; 1999 KDX200 $3000, Suzuki 1999 JR50 $850 248-634-0168
The Oakland Press

KAWASAKI KDX200, '01, runs good, well taken care of, needs minor work, $2,500 or best offer. 724-228-2396
Observer-Reporter

KDX 200 1987, many new parts, will trade for 4x4 truck. $1100/offer. 724-846-2130
Beaver County Times/Allegheny Times

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Thanks all.. I think the consensus is overall, keep my options open, or keep searching from the sounds of things. I got a note from the guy this morning that is making me want to look at it though, and certainly take it for a spin.

He sounds like a cool guy, and has been very upfront with me. (That's a big plus in my book)

Here's the note if you are interested:

Dave,

We will be here this Saturday and Sunday, but we'll be out of town from Aug. 23-31. We will be back here on Monday, Sept. 2, Labor Day if you want to check it out then.

Maybe Sunday Sept. 1. Call about the 1st if you want to see it then.

I'm selling because we have two small kids and we just bought a mini-van. Family budget type of thing and lack of time to ride. I may buy myself a superbike someday as the KDX is illeagal on the streets. All two strokes are illeagal on streets. This bike is LOUD also, so take this into consideration. It's basically an Enduro racebike. I am a speed-freak and I want to try drag racing it at Englishtown's 1/4 mile, but have no truck to haul it, so it's time to sell. Lucky for you or whoever chooses to buy. (I wanted to see if I could get it into the 10 second quarter mile bracket).

Tranny is STRONG. Absolutely no worn gears and I just put new Castrol 10W30 in there when I changed the clutch. It does NOT leak oil! Swingarm is tight as is the steering head, front shocks do NOT leak oil, cables are all fine, throttle feel is smooth, Dunlop knobby tires have about 50% tread left. I have extra rims and a new sand-paddle rear tire ready to go on. I always use this stuff called Stabil Gas Stabilizer which I swear by. It starts in 3-4 kicks even in cold weather. What else can I say. Alot, but it'll bore you after a while. I'm an MX nut, so I can go on and on. It's got a lightweight aluminum spark arrestor which I already repacked with fiberglass cloth muffler pack, new front and rear slotted brake shoes ready to install, but brakes work as is. Mikuni carb is clean and it idles fine. Has a manual choke, which works great. I've put a new clear plastic in-line gas filter and clear gas line so you know if it's run dry at a glance. It has an odometer and tripometer, but no speedo or tach. The odometer says it's got about 3500 miles, and I suspect it's correct, but cannot prove it. May have rolled over past 9999 as it's only 4 digits. Front headlight controlled by a switch and a rear tail light, but it's not technically a brake light. Just a red light in back. No turnsignals. Everything works. GOD I wish I had just one weekend and a truck to haul it up to the vintage MX races. I'd blow them all away. Never seen an Evolution Kawi in the web pics of the Northeast Vintage races. I really wanted to try it this season. Brand new Clark Plastics oversized gas tank, and replacement UFO Fenders. Stock steel handlebars (easy to replace with some lightweight aluminum ones which look trick and save a pound or two). The pic attached, if you viewed it, is the cover of the brand new owners manual. Good pic of the right side of the bike. That cover shot has the smaller stock tank. My bike has the larger Clark tank which looks 100% better than stock tank.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
I am a speed-freak and I want to try drag racing it at Englishtown's 1/4 mile, but have no truck to haul it, so it's time to sell. Lucky for you or whoever chooses to buy. (I wanted to see if I could get it into the 10 second quarter mile bracket).

Either this guy is an idiot or a liar. (No offense) Drag racing a KDX?!? At a 1/4 mile track?!? And expecting it to do it less than 11 seconds?!? C'mon! :) Considering you'd have to be going about 120+ MPH to achieve such a time, I think he might be a bit delusional. LMAO!

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
huskyboy.jpg

uoof1

Mar 25, 2002
I had one of these, they are not that fast. Mine had a great ride, and a I liked the bike, but my transmission did not outlast the original tires. As far as top speed 75 would be tops with useable gearing. 100 is not likely. I believe my wifes KDX220 is as fast, and the chassis is miles ahead of the 400. I would look at it at $500, if I needed one. Kevin

lightsts

Jul 8, 2002
It's a cool vintage bike, but parts are going to be a problem. Pistons are no longer available along with most other parts. I have a small fleet of vintage KDX's and the only way to keep them going is searching for NOS parts on eBAY. Took me 1 1/2 years to find a piston for my 82 KDX 450. Good luck.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Dont do it!!! Read the responses, and the answers to why not are all there:
Lightsts says:
It's a cool vintage bike, but parts are going to be a problem. Pistons are no longer available along with most other parts. I have a small fleet of vintage KDX's and the only way to keep them going is searching for NOS parts on eBAY. Took me 1 1/2 years to find a piston for my 82 KDX 450. Good luck.

He is right on the target!! I have been collecting and restoring for years and I am telling you that you DO NOT want the problems of obsolete parts to be part of your "every day, just wanting to have fun on my bike" routine. UNLESS you are specificly looking for that special vintage machine!! If that is the case - buy it and we will all try to help you find that rod kit that there is only 2 left of.......
Buy newer and CYA in the woods!
Woodsy
By the way, I just picked up a 91 KDX 250, mint with 1500 miles $1300. I know where there is a 96 RM250 for 1600 and an 87 KX500 for 1000. Also some unreal deals to be had in this forums "for sale"!!!!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
You can get much more for $1000. My brother picked up a '90 KDX 200 for $1000 a couple of years ago. It's a nice bike. Dyno port pipe, FMF TCI silencer/SA. He spent about 300 on swingarm and wheel bearings and other wear items. We did some cleaning and made some cosmetic changes (new seat cover) and the thing looks great! I think for about $1400 you should be able to find a '95-'96. That's definately the way to go. Good luck.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Dave,
Make sure that you take a buddy with you for the test ride. He or she can eyeball the bike while you ride, also ensure that the owner knows the entire main't history (if he's the original owner that is) Good luck and you made the right choice over the 400!

Top Bottom