r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Hi all

I took my e2 kdx out a couple of months ago in the grime here in the UK and I ran out of fuel.

After much pushing I filled the bike up and had some probs starting her. She ran rough 3\4 of the way home and then seemed to clear her lungs and away she went.

On getting home i chucked her in the shed to think about what she had done and didnt touch her for near 2 months.

About 2 weeks ago I dragged her out and gave her a clean but she wouldnt start. I have:

Drained all the fuel and replaced with 32:1 (what i normally run)

Stripped the carb and cleaned (all looks OK) Blown out all the jets (I thought it might be the pilot jet blocked)

Set the float height - replaced the float needle

checked the air screw

Put a new NGK 8 plug in

Taken off the head All OK

But she still wonyt start!!!!!

I tried puring a little fuel straight in the head and bang away she goes, she will then restart every time, but if I leave her overnight the same problem again!

There is a bloody good blue spark and tonnes of compression

I am running the bike completly standard as per the Clymer manual and she ran perfectly before all this

I have just run out of ideas but I have a 12 hr enduro in 2 weeks so I need her reliable!!

HELP!!!!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Have you installed a fuel filter on the bike? Perhaps it got clogged with sediment when you ran the tank low.

Also, if the reeds are warped or cracked, it can make cold starting nearly impossible.

Good luck!

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Carb vent hoses????

Are they the rubber tubes coming off the carb??

Should I just remove them all and try that!

There is No fuel filter on the bike

The reeds looked OK, is there a difinitive way of checking them??

I installed a new throttle cable last night as well. is it important that the rubber protector that comes on the throttle cable sits flush to the lid of the carb (The screw on cap) as mine doesnt

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
On a side note if the reeds are damaged my dealer has a set of boysen 2 stage reeds are these the ones every one raves about? do I need to change anything if I put these on?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Boyesen usually recommends leaning the jetting but IMO you should not change the jetting if the bike is already properly jetted. Remove your reed cage and closely inspect the reeds with a flashlight (torch for you English). If the reeds are are cracked or not fitting absolutely flat against the reed cage, they should be replaced. It is possible that even if they are sitting flat and not cracked, they have aged and are no longer stiff enough, allowing too much air and fuel in during starting.

For vent hoses, there are the ones on the carb, but don't forget the fuel cap vent. You may want to just remove the fuel cap and see if the bike starts. If the vent in the fuel cap or its hose is clogged, too little fuel will trickle down to the carb.

BTW, even though the spark looks good, it is possible to have an ignition problem. If the stator is going bad, you can get a decent looking spark when the plug is outside the motor, but the spark may be too weak under the higher pressure & more humid conditions inside the cylinder.

Also, if the woodruff key that holds the flywheel in the proper alignment is sheared, the flywheel may not be properly aligned. It could still be spinning and giving you a nice fat spark, but the spark will be delivered at the wrong time. The key is very inexpensive, but you would have to pull the flywheel to inspect.

Oh yeah, the little rubber boot on the new throttle cable is there to keep dirt and water out of the carb. If it is not seated properly, it should not effect how the bike runs. Some of the aftermarket cables have a poorly fitting boot.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
There is a fuel filter in the tank at the pick up. Take out the petcock and you will see it. Might be cloged or something.

Is the choke (enrichener circut) working properly? If not, make sure it moves and the passageway is not blocked.

good luck

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Guys I have checked the pipes and they are fine. there is a good flow of feul from the tank and the cap is not blocked!

Can you get the flywheel off without a puller????

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Guys your NEVER going to believe this!

Went out yesterday and got the crank puller called west country and was all ready to get eh coil rewound got home and thought I will just check she wont start....

Second bloody kick!!!!!

No problem at all. Took her out for a 20 min blast and it was like I had never had a problem!

Absolutly bloody amazing! Eitheir the bike fix fairys visited over night or the size of my crank puller scared her into submission!

Thank you ALL for the amount of help and advice you have given Ive learned LOADS about my baike in the past couple of days.

I am probably still going to get the coil rewound when I get paid just to be on the safe side but for now I just need to give her a polish and get ready for 12 hrs of pain at the iron man enduro I am doing in 2 weeks!!

WOO HOO!

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Took the bike out for 5 hours last weekend and she runs great. I noticed a few other minor problems (that I have posted on here) but the engine runs fine!

Thank you for all you help as usual! Now go fix my other problems toot sweet :rotfl:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom