Apr 27, 2006
Hello all,
Just bought a 1997 KTM 300 mx-c. It has sat for the past 5 years. I cleaned the carb, and it fired right up. I shut it off after about 30 seconds, at it hasn't started since.
I am getting no spark at the plug. I have tried 2 different wires. The local dealer ohmed the coil and said it was ok.
So then I got the flywheel off and checked the stator. All of the metal pads are pitted from rust, and 4 of them have cracks in the insulator glue stuff. The flywheel looks like maybe it had some sort of plastic coating on the inside that covered the magnets, but looks all smeary and rubbed off.
SO,
Being the non-backing down person I am, I went ahead and wire wheeled the stator pickup pads until they were shiny. A few still have pits in them, but are shiny now. The flywheel, I cleaned the plasticky stuff off of the magnets with emery cloth. Slapped it all back togather and it won't start. It pops every now and then, but that's it. Pull the plug out and roll the engine over, once in a great while it will spark one time. I am through kicking on this f'in thing, it is a mother to kickstart. Must be high compression, my shin has already fell victim to a hit :p

Wires coming from the stator are:
Red, orange, black, green, and 2 yellows. The 2 yellows weren't hooked up to anything, and he had the red going to the kill switch.
Is there a test I can do on this stator, the local dealer quoted me $300 for a flywheel and a stator for this pig.
THanks,
Mike

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
checkout ktmtalk.com...they'll have an answer for you...

Apr 27, 2006
tried them, I can't join due to my email address? I have yahoo, and then signed up with Juno, they won't take either. Pretty stupid rule to try and join, what the hell am I supposed to do? :bang:

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I have heard the only way to check the stator issue is to reduce the gap on the spark plug. If the bike fires and runs with the reduced gap but will not run with the correct gapped plug then the problem is usually the stator.

Apr 27, 2006
OK, narrowed the spark plug gap, didn't change anything. Still no spark. ANy other ideas? Or does anyone have a used stator they'd like to sell?
Mike

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
try a differant plug and about ktm talk contact the person that runs the show and tell
them about your email they may take care of you cause my brother inlaw has hot mail
thats how he got on there

Top Bottom