2003 KDX Transmission Problems

dan1608

~SPONSOR~
Jul 31, 2003
My son and I went riding yesterday. About a mile into the trail he tells me his 2003 KDX with less then 500 miles on it doesn't sound right. The transmission seemed extra noisy. We check the sight glass and it shows the proper amount of oil. I take it for a ride. Plenty of power, shifting properly seems to be ok sound is just off. We are new to the kdx and I understand they can be noisy. The loop we were going to ride was not that long, about 25 miles, so off we went. I checked with him every so often he says shifting fine. Just before we get back to the parking lot he pulls up next to me and I here a whining sound. I look down at his engine and his kick start lever is shaking. I reach down and pull back the lever and it stops. We pull into the parking lot its doing it again. He said that noise started just as we finished the loop. I'm going to drain the transmission oil when I get home tonight and look for metal. Anybody ever heard of this happening?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I don't know about the kick start lever unless it just shakes from engine vibration at that particular RPM. When you change the oil put the whole quart in and that will help quiet things down. KDXs make lots of crank case noise.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
kelseybrent said:
On a side note, make sure you locktite and torque the kickstart nut, because that shaking will eventually shake it off the bike.
yup.... (blue seems to work fine, so far)

as for the noise... my '01 KDX200 makes some rattle noises when it is idling (KIPS valve I think?)... but it doesn't make any noticably odd noises when riding... check the oil, as you suggested, and change it often regardless...

I never had a new KDX so I'm not sure if the rattle only starts after the engine is broken in (or the KIPS gets carboned up as the case may be)... but it seems odd that it would get really noticeable all at once.... check everything to make sure the rattle is not just a loose item (about to fall off probably)... that kickstarter for example

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
My 03, KDX200 trans made noise when it was new, I switched to Bel-Ray gear saver oil 85 wt. in the summer and 80 wt. in the winter. No problems.

Use a good synthetic oil, and use the whole quart. Helps keep the noise down and won't hurt anything.

The kips valve does make a loud knocking sound. It's normal as long as it's not excessive.

Have you read the new bike prep in the tech section yet? Good advice in there.

Also lock tight the kick stand bolts, mine fell off and I had to go find it.

Have fun.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's not uncommon for the kdx to have kicker mechanism problems. My riding buddy's did shortly after he bought it. I've heard of the same problem from other riders from time to time.

I wouldn't describe that noise as a whine though.

You will have to take of the RH cover to see anything going on with the kicker. If it's still under the so-called warranty, have the dealer check it out before you tear into it.

dan1608

~SPONSOR~
Jul 31, 2003
Thanks for the replys. I changed the transmission oil last night and went for a short ride down the block. Seems to be ok. We won't be able to get to the woods for a couple of weeks to give it a real test though. Again, thanks.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Dan1608:

I got a new 04 200 on Wednesday. After break in I changed trans oil and took it out for a ride and 20 miles later my kick starter did the EXACT same thing as you described. Any luck on finding the cause of the shaking? :think:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
kelseybrent said:
On a side note, make sure you locktite and torque the kickstart nut, because that shaking will eventually shake it off the bike.

I can vouch for that. If you want it to stay on, use lock tight.It falls off unless you want it off, then it's nearly impossible. :rotfl:

dan1608

~SPONSOR~
Jul 31, 2003
dan1608 said:
Thanks for the replys. I changed the transmission oil last night and went for a short ride down the block. Seems to be ok. We won't be able to get to the woods for a couple of weeks to give it a real test though. Again, thanks.[/QUOTE

I've had the bike out and haven't had any problems since that first time. Like you I had just changed the transmission oil when the problem occured. My guess is I must not have put enough in. When I change it now I dump in the whole quart. How low trans oil affects the kick starter is beyond me. Everyone is right about those kickstand bolts they loosen up very easily.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Thanks Dan1608

How much noise comes from the bottom end/transmission area of your bike? My 04 has much more noise from that area than my 88 does.

dan1608

~SPONSOR~
Jul 31, 2003
Alot. When its in neutral and the clutch is out it sounds like its crunching gravel. I read in this forum that its not unusual for the bike to make this much noise. I've had it for almost a year now and I'm still suprised how loud it is.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I guess I'm lucky, but my '03 200 has never made any kind of transmission noise that could be compared to gravel. I haven't noticed any kind of distinctive transmission noise yet...

I have been putting the recommended amount of tranny oil in, maybe I'll start putting a whole quart (Bel-Ray Gear Saver) like everyone else recommends...

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Just a shot in the dark...

I haven't been riding any motorcycle long enough to give a definitive answer on anything other that what it feels like to fall off, but I have a thought.

I have an 04 KDX-220R... on about the 4th ride, I got to SandHill, kicked it over and it fired right up first time (I love that :) ) I reach down and pushed the choke back in and then immediately started hearing what could only be described as a grating, gravel crunching kind of rattling sound... It was VERY noticeable and as I continued to blip the throttle, it remained constant.

In a fit of worry I looked down at the motor and noticed that the kick start lever was not completely retracted. In fact it was fully extended and partially down in the stroke...

I pulled it up and folded it in and immediately the sound disappeared and the motor sounded silky smooth (well smooth for a two stroke :) )

Out of curiosity, I folded out the kick starter again and pressed it down a little on its downstroke and the horrible grating sound came back. Pulled up on the kick starter and folded it in and again the sound went completely away.

My conclusion is that the sprag clutch (or whatever one way clutch they are using for the kickstarter) is the source of the sound and if the sound persists even after completely retracting the kickstarter, that the kick starter clutch (NOT the transmission clutch) is somehow not spinning freely and is partially engaging.

Since I know that my bike did not behave this way in the previous three rides (I remember distinctly on the third ride holding the kickstarter all the way down while the engine was running when the tip of it got hung up on my boot) I would think if you have the problem, this is a situation that gets more pronounced over time

Just an educated guess on my part, but since you mentioned that your kick starter was vibrating, I see that as supporting evidence that the sprag kick starter clutch is staying partially engaged on your bike for some reason.

Let us know how your diagnostic efforts come out...

Feanor

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
dsndblm said:
Well, I guess I better get an aftermarket pipe and silencer so I cant hear the noises!

Thanks for the input.

:) I have an FMF Rev pipe and TC2 silencer on my bike and when I hear the sound, even the more pronounced "rinng-ding-ding" doesn't drown it out :)

See the previous post on my suspicion of it being the started mechanism itself...

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Noise

The problem you're having is that the case oil is too low. You need to add an extra 100ml of case oil above the manufacturer recommended oil level. There is a race bearing that doesn't get enough oil in stock trim. That is the noise you are hearing. I used too get the noise before I started over fillling my case oil.

Eric

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Thanks for all the input guys. I have a couple more hours on the bike since the noise, not any sign of the kickstarter shake/noise. I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom