jj canuck

Oct 28, 2006
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions for ya if you don't mind helping me out. My bike is a '94 RM 250 that I bought second hand that needed a new stator and cdi box to get spark. Now that I have spark, it won't run properly. I checked the exhaust valve rod and it was unhooked, so I hooked it up. The bike starts, but backfires and will not idle. I advanced the timing, and it runs better, but it still has no power anywhere.

Is this a jetting problem, or is it timing? It has an FMF platinum pipe and stock jetting.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to ride it before the snow flys!! :bang:

Thank you very much.

jj canuck

Oct 28, 2006
there are three bolts on the stator plate, i took those out and moved the plate clock wize , tightend them and it fired alot better. the flywheel is keyed to the crank not the stator.

jj canuck

Oct 28, 2006
does anyone know if a suzuki dealer can advance the timing in a cdi box? the after market cdi that i bought is for a 93 to 97 , the wires don't match my 94 wires. I reamed my stator plate holes so i could advance the timeing even more and it fired first kick and idled!!!!! please let me know if anyone can advance timing in a cdi
thanks.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
sorry JL had a brain fart about the plate being movable, have you pulled the flywheel to make sure you didnt shear the key ???
sounds like thats your problem to me.

jj canuck

Oct 28, 2006
the key on this bike was at one time tacked to the shaft. i cleaned every thing the best i could,the key is a little loose in the slot but i don't think it would throw out the timing off that much, could it? i moved the plate as far advanced as i can and then some (reaming the slots) i cant go any more because the pick-up coil is tight against the first bolt! i might have got the wrong cdi box, my new one says it will fit a 93 - 97 i checked the serial # and the dealer says it is a 94. anyway i would like to try to advance the timing more to see if i can get this thing to run better or i have to try some jetting!!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
i think the cdi and stater need to be a kit -from what i gathered i no someone that had the same problems -im not sure why though

jj canuck

Oct 28, 2006
the guy i bought the bike from said all that was wrong with the bike was the stator,i ordered one for a 94 from ricky stator and it fit on the plate so all the electrical stuff should match. i just need to know if the timing on a digital cdi box can be advanced by a dealer????? :bang: :|

jj canuck

Oct 28, 2006
well i did some research and the cdi is not programable, so the next thing would be the stator plate. i think the guy i bought the bike from had put on '92 electronics, so is the stator plate different from 92 to 94 ? any help would be great!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom