sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Bringing my RM250 out of retirement and figured I'd have some fun with it. Going to work on making it Street Legal (not highway legal) and need to figure out a lighting solution. Wouldnt mind being able to desert ride at night either with some groups out this way. I plan to use a small battery to help out the set up but curious if I need to get a higher output stator as well with adding a battery? I know a regulator/rectifier is needed to charge the battery and convert AC to DC but is a bigger stator needed with adding a battery now?

I've added higher output stators to add more lights to non battery quads and dirt bikes in the past but adding a battery is new to me.

Going with all LED lights during the process as well.

Just trying to figure out what all is needed. Looks like Steahly has everything I would need as I am also adding a flywheel weight too so hopefully one stop shop.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That's a good question. I know that if you just add a light an no battery you need a bigger stator to compensate for the additional power draw. I'd assume that you'd still need one even with a battery since the light will still draw power. The battery will supply a more consistent voltage for your lighting but the battery will still need it's energy replaced by the stator output.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Thats kind of my thought process as the battery will essentially power the lights and the reg/rectifier will help charge the battery. I've read the 99/00 RM's have a bigger stator than other years as well but cant find what the actual output is either. I've seen several people just run a battery to led me lights with a switch and it lasts quite a bit but you have to charge the battery separately. I only need front and rear w/brake activated so not much draw with an Led set up most likely.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
LED lights have a lot lower current draw so you may be fine with that. Depending on how long you will be riding and what access you have to a charger on the trail. Are you using a Li battery? That will help.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
That would be the plan for a battery, found a couple compact batteries others seem to recommend. Really want to find the oem output of the 99 RM250 stator. I've read people use the 99/00 stator in their 96-98 instead of buying a high output one because the 99/00 oem stator puts enough out since it also has a powerjet carb. Trying to find my full service manual that I haven't seen for 12yrs is harder than I thought.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I took a look at Ricky Stator's website Ricky Stator - Manufacturer of ATV and Dirt Bike Stators, Electrical Components, Lighting Systems and Suspension Products and they list the same stator for 94-00 so I'm not sure if if the 99/00 is better than the 96-98. Unless they just made them all the same. It's interesting that the 01 looks to may fewer windings on the coils so maybe the 94-00 would fit your needs. I'd just give them a call. I've ordered form them before and they were goo to work with. They can even recommend the right stator output for what you need.

1638883236066.png

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah I noticed that when searching that 94-00 all work for each other. I think I saw it here in a thread about 99/00 being higher output though due to the powerjet and it was better option for the other year bikes to use than and aftermarket since it is oem. I messaged Steahly as well but mo response yet. Gonna keep digging.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Ok so I found a lot more info out on the interwebs and you can use the powerjet circuit for lighting! Steahly actually has a kit for about $150 to set it up and no battery needed. I'm going to build my own mix and match set up so I can run a battery and have a brighter set up but pretty cool it can be done using the PJ circuit.

Now to figure out the actual wiring!

Top Bottom