Any advise on KX for almost 10 yr. old son

CandymanGP

Jul 14, 2007
Trying to decide what bike to get my son. He has been beeting on his modified PW80 on trails, hill climbs, and in fields for almost 4 years. He is 4'7" tall & 75 lbs. At this point I've been considering either the KX65 or KX85. He fits the 30" seat height of the 65 great right now, but would I be better off getting the 85 and lowering it a couple inches? I don't want to put him on something he can't handle. Likewise I really don't have the funds to buy him a new bike again in a year of two.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
He's on the bubble and will be hitting the spurt before long, just make sure that you can undo whatever you do to lower the 85. Lowering links tend to be inexpensive, and you may be able to find a pre-cut seat. I don't recommend hacking up a perfectly good seat when the kid will be growing into the original. If you get the 65 then you will have to buy him something bigger within 2-3 years.

Spencer99

Jun 20, 2007
hey candyman,
i just got a CR85 for my first bike. Im 15 and i love it. Lots of power. i dont know if your son would be ready for it when hes 10 years old unless he a good little rider. my little brother that is turning 11 cant handle it. its way to big for him.
go with a 65, thats perfect

CandymanGP

Jul 14, 2007
Thanks for the reply FruDaddy. Not planning anything major to lower it, just links and raise the forks in the trees if possible. Good advise on keeping the seat intact. Dealers in my area are suggesting the 65 (that they have in stock) saying the 85 (that they are fresh out of) may be too much of a jump from the PW. From what I'm reading on this forum the 85 with the power valve and better suspension seems to be a more logical choice if I can lower it. But my backround is in cars, & Harleys. I'm extremely new to all of this. I have been reading all the posts I can to help make my decision and really appreiciate any input.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It is a huge jump, and normally I would say to go with a 65, it is suitable for riders under 120 lbs, and kids race them until they are 11-12 years old. In that regard, your dealer is correct, but they are somewhat financially motivated as well. I am currently researching 85s for my 10yr old (currently races a KX65). My recommendation to you is primarily based on the fact that you want this bike to last more than 2 years. The larger motor won't be quite as peaky as a KX65, and the powervalve will help too. You might also consider a flywheel weight. As long as you are patient, and your son understands the basics, then the move to an 85 will be possible.

Don't worry about the mechanics, if you are moderately competent with tools, then working on a 2-stroke dirtbike won't be too hard. Of course, it never hurts to invest in a factory service manual for whichever bike you choose.

Jul 4, 2006
My little guy will be 10 this Thursday, he's 4'2" 62lbs. I'd say get your son the KX85 the lowering links are about $70 new. With your son's size he should be used to the bike in a couple of months so take them back off.

My son does ride his pretty hard (blew the motor last week) but with the lowering links it's harder for him to stick the front end in the corners. By lowering the back and yes bringing the forks up it still rides light in the front end.

Now if he's going to be racing MX he'll be more competetive on the 65, but he'll only be able to race it another year.
j3-2.jpg

CandymanGP

Jul 14, 2007
Guys thanks for your thoughts and help. I think I'm going to go for the KX85. I'm sure either bike will be a big jump for him and I plan on taking some time getting him up to speed on it. I dont expect he will be ready to race it before next year. I just have to get him on something new. I have done every performance upgrade I have ever seen done to his PW, but I cant give it what he now needs and he is killing it. I have been a auto mechanic for over 20 years and will definatly get the factory service manual.

Top Bottom