Any chance of a Dirtweek this year?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
or is that a thing of the past now? Just wondering, didnt know if it was put on hold, or if it is going to happen again.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I was wondering the same thing. There's still a big hole in our dirtbike world from not seeing everyone in 2006. I know it's a lot of work but it is so rewarding.

Doug

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
My wife mentioned the other day that we need to find an area to camp and ride for a couple of days. I said DIRTWEEK!! Its only about 3 hours away and is perfect for what we would like to do. Only problem is, I don't know if they are having it any more. :(

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The logistics of making it happen in spring just wouldn't work. Nobody but Okies family even has a slight clue as to the back scene work involved to put it together.
I can't answer for Okie but I sure hope it does occur somewhere even in a smaller less formal style. The big problem was that with gas costs soaring and the attendance dropping the last couple years Okie was taking a major financial hit in addition to the work involved. We really need to put it together again with the emphasis returning to riding and getting to meet/ renew friendships and get away from the idea that if I don't win X amount of prizes it isn't worth going

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
oldguy said:
The logistics of making it happen in spring just wouldn't work. Nobody but Okies family even has a slight clue as to the back scene work involved to put it together.
I can't answer for Okie but I sure hope it does occur somewhere even in a smaller less formal style. The big problem was that with gas costs soaring and the attendance dropping the last couple years Okie was taking a major financial hit in addition to the work involved. We really need to put it together again with the emphasis returning to riding and getting to meet/ renew friendships and get away from the idea that if I don't win X amount of prizes it isn't worth going

Very well said. Major kudo's for Okie and his family for all the hard work over the years and putting up with the headaches and liabilities. I also agree with the conclusion to get back to the roots of riding, friendships, and an overall de-stressing experience.

Doug

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
oldguy said:
and get away from the idea that if I don't win X amount of prizes it isn't worth going

I hope that came out of left field, never in my life have I heard anyone say anything remotely close (even under their breath) about DW. :bang:

The event was awesome while it lasted! Maybe a PW this year? You figure it out :laugh:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
MrLuckey said:
I hope that came out of left field, never in my life have I heard anyone say anything remotely close (even under their breath) about DW. :bang:

The event was awesome while it lasted! Maybe a PW this year? You figure it out :laugh:
Eddie running the scavenger hunt I heard it alot and there were several times in the tent I heard various versions the last 2 years I was there. The majority did not exhibit that tendency thank fully

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Not having DW in 2006 was a bummer, and the work put in is ALWAYS worth it, at least for me!! I missed not seeing everyone this year!

Anyone got pull with the MAN? LOL

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Crispy said:
Anyone got pull with the MAN? LOL

You're the family here!!!! ;)

We'd certainly try our hardest to make a Dirtweek if there was one this year!

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
night time poker run.
Hare Scramble.
Camp Fire.
friends (new and old)
scoring moto
pit bike races
pink tutu's
dingo's
keeping crispy from going totally nutz.....................

I"M THERE !!!!!!!!!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Hey Mully - don't forget bikini bottoms LOL

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
squeaky said:
Hey Mully - don't forget bikini bottoms LOL

Yes, bikini bottoms, mmmmmmmmmmmmm :nod:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
BTW, DW doesn't have to be anything more that a group of people agreeing to meet up in a large field in the middle of no where on the same days. That's it. Just pick the field and the dates.

Everything else is optional. Including showing up with a bike.

I know this group, and DW is about the people, plain and simple. Somehow if the group decides when and where you'll see that people will show up, visit, ride some, eat some and have a good time.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I've thought about doing this at Muenster many times, just like the Spodefest we did there back in 2002 I believe. As I understand it, one of the things that makes this tough is finding a place with both a good track and good woods, since it's about a 50/50 split of both. Muenster is also that much further South for those coming down from the upper midwest states.

I have to admit that the last few years have been amazing in OK. Cooperland is a heck of a track, the woods loop is great, and the field is good for the kids and newbies to learn on. Having the 500 nearby is a great bonus. If the issues for that property can be worked out it's pretty darn perfect.

Doug

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
One issue is that Brownie sold CL. :( I sure something could be worked out but that always made it easier.

Also I'll echo Oldguy's comment. It's sad but true that the last couple had folks that seemed more interested in what they could get both as prizes and in events than what DW was really about.

Persoanlly I'd be up for something a lot less formal. Bomb fires, some fun rides and good friends should do it for me.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
Also I'll echo Oldguy's comment. It's sad but true that the last couple had folks that seemed more interested in what they could get both as prizes and in events than what DW was really about.
I've been there once, and even I heard some rumblings to that effect. Heck, all I cared was that I got to drink adult beverages and enjoy cameraderie with all these human cartoons.

oh yeah, and ride dirt bikes.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
Persoanlly I'd be up for something a lot less formal. Bomb fires, some fun rides and good friends should do it for me.

me too!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Dirtweek 2007 +1

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Green Horn said:
You've been to any of the 6 previous DirtWeeks? :p

It's all about interest. If it's there, we'll do it. Being a rebound year, we won't go after all the sponsors, that in itself takes a full year. But, a big time group ride with friends new and old around a fire? Yup. Impromptu racing, rides and the like? Yup. Cooler stealing at 2 AM? Yup...

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Patman said:

XRpredator said:
I've been there once, and even I heard some rumblings to that effect. Heck, all I cared was that I got to drink adult beverages and enjoy cameraderie with all these human cartoons.

oh yeah, and ride dirt bikes.

Oh alright, I'll be there.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Okiewan said:
It's all about interest. If it's there, we'll do it. Being a rebound year, we won't go after all the sponsors, that in itself takes a full year. But, a big time group ride with friends new and old around a fire? Yup. Impromptu racing, rides and the like? Yup. Cooler stealing at 2 AM? Yup...

works for me.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I can't make a real promise here, but, I'm working on my track and there is a 6 mile woods loop close by. There is also a professional track 7 miles away and 740 acres of sand/woods riding within 15 miles. My place can handle quite a few people. The worst part is facilities or the lack there of. I'm on a water well so I can't handle washing 50 bikes everyday along with showers and such.
Getting everything ready has as much to do with time as with the weather. Until there is a bit more day light left at the end of the day, work will be spoty. I hope to have the HS over in May and if they like it, I'll add/remove things to make it more to the liking of a larger crowd. I'm only 45 mins east of Cooperland. No clue about insurance but I have a really good legal team besides, if you get hurt, I'll dig a hole and bury you and make you part of a double!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom