aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
It's a new year and I have 26 off days to schedule. You WILL be having a DW07 this year MISTER! And that's an order! Swag, no-swag, I agree with most, it is all about the friends and family. There are so many friends that I made at the previous 4 DW's which we have attended. (can you tell that the interest is here?)

Build it, we will show up!

(just noticed, Brian/Stan was signed on. Grady)

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Okiewan said:
Hey, gotta have some swag to give away :) For me, the mods and my family, thats part of the fun. Pretty cool to see the little guy or girl get a shinny new helmet or chest protector; a big ol' trophy... ya know? But yes, I totally agree, the whole "purpose" ... there are really no better times in this sport than getting together with so many friends and making so many new ones. I've been blessed in meeting and getting to know so many good people.
Okie - I'm sure we all have some trophies that we can recycle for the races. At least for the kids.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Why not open the prizes and big ol' trophys to the 12 and under crowd and leave the rest of us bums who have jobs and money to fend for ourselves? I've been VERY interested in Dirtweek for a while now, but I'm a teacher and I don't get time off when DW is going on. I suppose if it were held in July or August it would essentially be inaccessible for anyone in the construction business.....can't make everyone happy.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I find it amusing that many folks think Okie HAS to set it all up. What couldn't anybody get a group together and put on a Dirt Week type event (call it what you will) and set it up how ever they want then invite everyone and maybe Okie and his family could kick back and enjoy it for once. If you don't think it takes a lot out of all of them just stop by his RV at the end of the week. Or go see Crispy or Pokie of Shifless and you'll see the same exhausted smiling face.

Sp I say how about it? Grady? Lorin? I know folks are willing to help but how about grab the bull by the horns! I'll be there :)

Oh and OldassKDX there has been talk about a more summer vacation schedule. The big concern was always heat for those from the cooler part of the world. Heck I prefer it hot so come on July!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Patman said:
I find it amusing that many folks think Okie HAS to set it all up. What couldn't anybody get a group together and put on a Dirt Week type event (call it what you will) and set it up how ever they want then invite everyone and maybe Okie and his family could kick back and enjoy it for once. If you don't think it takes a lot out of all of them just stop by his RV at the end of the week. Or go see Crispy or Pokie of Shifless and you'll see the same exhausted smiling face.

Sp I say how about it? Grady? Lorin? I know folks are willing to help but how about grab the bull by the horns! I'll be there :)

Oh and OldassKDX there has been talk about a more summer vacation schedule. The big concern was always heat for those from the cooler part of the world. Heck I prefer it hot so come on July!
Stay tuned.
I was just looking at my DW Posters. Each one brings back lots of great memories. It was really cool to see the faces of friends made. Nothing quite like a road trip with your buds to meet people and ride and bench race with. I'm working to have a Spodefest at my place. If the weather will cooperate, it will happen, maybe more than once this year. 2 inches of ice on the ground right now so all I can do is plan.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You are the man Mr. Swift and I hope you can get help that's as committed as you have been in helping put the past events together! :cool:

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Whatever/wherever - count me in. I do not want to go another year without eating some dirt for a week.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Timr said:
Mully, you left out Teads free beer!!! :)

And Night Vision Scopes ...
And broken bones ...
And French Vanilla Ice Cream on the way back from the emergency room ...
And Hot Water Showers ...
And "Camp Tejas" ... a 20x20 awning in 2002, that became a 20x40 awning in 2003, that became a 20x40 awning and a GP Medium Tent in 2004, that became a 20x40 awning and a GP Medium Tent (which became DW Central) and the "grill" in 2005 ...
Who can forget the grill?!?!?!?

All of the above is generally meaningless as it is all "stuff".

I don't even care if I ride. Ask Brian, it drove him crazy.

What I enjoy is getting to see everyone. I enjoy catching up with old friends and making new friends.

I enjoy seeing how much everyone's kids have grown. I enjoy watching the kids as they stretch their legs having fun, all the while being watched by everyone there.

I will help in any way that I can. This is too important to let slide.

Please set the dates quickly, the last two weeks of October are already wiped out. Matt (mafols), Michelle and I are trying to plan a BWCA adventure for early September. The first week of November, I am photographing a wedding ...

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Patman said:
Really Lorin, go for it! Okie's toes have been through worse :)

Tree roots at the 500 come to mind. :nod:

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
can it be in the summer so that the kids are out of school. and while i can occasionally pull the kids out for something - its much more difficult to pull the teacher in the family out of the classroom...

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
the week needs to include a weekend of riding.... therefore a track that would not have a scheduled race at that time... something difficult to achieve during racing season...

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
FruDaddy said:
My ability to attend would be directly related to how far I have to drive to get there, but I won't moan, whine, or otherwise complain if it's too far. In all fairness, somewhere in the North Central US area would be convenient to more people, but alternating east, central, west each year would allow more people to attend. It's a format similar to Yamaha's Star Days.

I totally agree.

and if it's far away (like OK) and I attend, chances are I will make it into about a week's vacation, not a 3 or 4 day event. Even if it means i'm there by myself the first or last day or two.

On a somewhat unrelated topic, I'm not sure how many out there have street legal/dual sport bikes but I think a dual sport or adventure/camping week would be fun too. This would probably work best in a state where the laws aren't as strict as say, Iowa.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My track is a third done. Just got some needed rain. Hopefully, I can burn some brush in the next few days to open up some more area. By the way, the grass in greening up right before my eyes!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've got 22 acres. The track is a third done. Expecting rain the rest of the week. I'm 50 miles from the 500. My buddy has 100 acres plus access to the adjoining 150 acres with a 6.5 mile trail marked. He's building a house there now, he's a pro GNCC rider, 2001 #1.
I'm hoping to have things roughed in over the next month and have a early Spode gathering to work out logistics for a Long Dirtweekend. Rain or the lack of it is the biggest issue right now.
I'm not opposed to having a couple of different gatherings. This would accomadate the people that need time when the kids are out of school and the others maybe in late Sept. or Oct. Just remember, July and August in Oklahoma can be a bit unbearable in the heat.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
As usual me and Zac are in for any DW and for that matter some of the work that goes into it but you gotta let me know preferably via email as I don't get on as much as I used to. Also something to think about and not to put a damper on DW is that I just heard from a reliable source that gas will head up toward the $4 a gallon mark the closer we get to summer........not cool.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom