Paintslinger

Mar 16, 2002
Local KTM dealer has a 1997 KTM 300 EXC. He wants $2300 for it. Has new topend, rear brakes, hand gaurds (one is slightly broken), aftermarket front suspension, brake snake, very good rubber.

All plastic intact, although very faded (no decals). Trip meter doesn't work.

Sound like a good deal? or what? I am new to dirt riding, own a street bike now. Want to get "OffRoad"!

Thanks

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Paint - That KTM sounds like a pretty good deal. I would go back and ofer him 1800 cash (I always do that cause you never know - he may take it!!). I have a real close friend who rides a 300 exc. He has had very little trouble with the bike. One problem he has had is getting it jetted correctly. He had a hard time getting the correct needle for it (believe me when I say that he spent MANY hours trying to find the info he needed - it seems that KTM dealers do not know their needle sizes). He has owned the bike for 5 years and we have had a riiot on it. It has very smooth power (and lots of it), handles very nicely (I am surprized how well it does in the tight stuff - I ride an XR and the Katoom is as nimble!!), FLYS over the whoops!!! The bike will run neck in neck with a CR500 and has almost as much power in the bottom!!
My only concern with the KTM line is dealership numbers!! Ya just dont see as many KTM dealers here in my area as the big 4.. I have always appreciated the parts availability of Honda and Yamaha!! I HATE NOT BEING ABLE TO RIDE BECAUSE I AM WAITING FOR PARTS!!!! I recently sold my VOR because of just that!!!!
Woodsy

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
I have a 97 250 which is exactly the same except for displacement. The 300 is a little easier to ride, especially for a beginner, because it has more low end grunt than the 250. That means easier to go over obstacles at a slow speed.

My 250 has been very reliable, never failed me, requires very little maintenance - oil and air filter is about it.

This bike sounds likke a good deal to me.

Top Bottom